B-17f Flying Fortress

strawberry 9

I just finished a 1/72 scale B-17 model my wife got me for Christmas. I haven't done any modeling in a long time so I was a little rusty. I also used some techniques that I hadn't tried before. Overall, I'm happy with the results. I think 1/72 scale may be a little to small for me though. The kit itself wasn't bad although some of the parts just would not fit together properly. This gave me a chance to work with modeling putty which I hadn't used before. Here are a few pics. Hope you enjoy.

post-100432-0-56001600-1485404431.jpgpost-100432-0-61057200-1485404432.jpg

Hey Straw,

Nice job, great detail and your decals look awesome. I did this model in 1/48. It was the Revell model B-17G although I mistakenly posted it as the F. BTW what company made your kit, since you complained about some fit problems?

I'm thinking of getting one in 1/72. The 1/48 scale was for my grandson.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Hey Straw,

Nice job, great detail and your decals look awesome. I did this model in 1/48. It was the Revell model B-17G although I mistakenly posted it as the F. BTW what company made your kit, since you complained about some fit problems?

I'm thinking of getting one in 1/72. The 1/48 scale was for my grandson.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Mine was also Revell. Maybe I just got some warped pieces. This is the box. It was fun though and I got to practice my putty work!

post-100432-0-86842500-1485749241.jpg

Here is the original box art from the mid-1960's.

Notice the angle of the painting makes the B-17 look like a dive bomber, as opposed to making its run flat and level.

This was pretty exciting to find under the Christmas Tree, especially with shows like 12 O'Clock High on TV. The old National Geographic magazines, as well as a Life and others gave plenty of coverage to the B-17's... enough to make you think they airplanes won the war single handed.

Revell Memphis Bell.jpg

Brian Dentino

Exceptionally nice finished product Straw! The weathering and detail on your finish paint is outstanding and super realistic. There is a lot of really talented modellers on here and I love to see the work you all do. Thanks for sharing with us!

!/72 is rather small for a large B-17. I think I built a 1/72 model when I was in high school. I much prefer 1/72 World War 1 crates. I have a collection of those---finished and kits still in a box.

You did a great job with the paint. I believe it scaling the paint so you see what you would expect at that distance. You went the extra mile.

And the kit has the swimming suites the right colors in the Nose Art. I like the Memphis Belle since I live in a suburb of Mempfis.