Looking for help Identifying Medals in Case

chris3bs

I got this case a while back. Had medals, shoulder boards, cap badge, and a couple of buttons. Looks to be navy related. Not sure which era and what the medals represent. The contents are unfortunately glued.

any help is appreciated.

post-12449-0-54221400-1485390028_thumb.jpg

post-12449-0-52540000-1485390049_thumb.jpg

It looks to be merchant marine related from WW2 based on the victory medal. Could be post war also but not quite up to speed on the other medals. Would be interesting to see what the back of the medals looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the one on the left ("Atlantic War Zone") is a Merchant Marine medal. The one on the right is their WWII Victory Medal.

In the top picture, the right-most of the three is the Mediterranean Middle East equivalent of the Atlantic War Zone medal.

From quick web search, looks like the ribbons existed war-time, but the Merchant Marine hang medals are relatively new creations (1990s).

They might be the equivalent to theater medals you see with the army/ navy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank You!!

Chris

The Merchant Marine theaters of operations ribbon bars existed during the war, but medals to go with the ribbons only came into existence, as was pointed out earlier, around the 1990's.

None will be named.

During the war, Mercahnt Mariners received the ribbon and a wallet card authorizing its wear. In 1946, the Victory Medal was issued. Much later, the full-size medals were created for the ribbon-only war zone bars. The Merchant Marine decorations (DSM, MSM, Mariner's Medal) were full-size medals from the beginning.

Check this site for more info" http://www.usmm.org/medals.html

None will be named.

During the war, Mercahnt Mariners received the ribbon and a wallet card authorizing its wear. In 1946, the Victory Medal was issued. Much later, the full-size medals were created for the ribbon-only war zone bars. The Merchant Marine decorations (DSM, MSM, Mariner's Medal) were full-size medals from the beginning.

Check this site for more info" http://www.usmm.org/medals.html

Thank You..