Good weekend for flight helmets

jayhawkhenry

I added two new items this past weekends. A few years apart in issue, but I am pleased to have both.

Would anyone happen to have an extra set of gray visor stops to part with?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice helmets!! That first helmet is really nice.

I have not seen those type of O2 mask fittings before. Are they special purpose, or is that the normal mask fittings used these days? Also, do you know what that fitting is used for just aft of the O2 mask fitting?

Chris

The gray helmet is a HALO parachutist helmet.O2 receivers are anti snag for parachute lines. Visor blocks are on ebay from time to time. The other fitting is for a boom mic.

Did you ever finish your resto on the other helmet?

Bob

Nice helmets!! That first helmet is really nice.

I have not seen those type of O2 mask fittings before. Are they special purpose, or is that the normal mask fittings used these days? Also, do you know what that fitting is used for just aft of the O2 mask fitting?

Chris

Those fittings behind the oxygen receivers (one on each side) are for fitting a boom mic bracket on whichever side the wearer prefers. The receivers themselves seem to have been used on para helmets as I once had one that came from a SEAL and it was identically outfitted. They are more rounded and smooth to help from snagging lines, etc.

The gray helmet is a HALO parachutist helmet.O2 receivers are anti snag for parachute lines. Visor blocks are on ebay from time to time. The other fitting is for a boom mic.

Did you ever finish your resto on the other helmet?

Bob

Thanks for the info Bob. I'll have to watch eBay for some blocks. I'm still working the other project. I think it's about 75%.

Henry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
northcoastaero

Nice helmets. The cloth WWII USAAF helmet appears to be an A-8 with a chin strap and not a chin cup or an A-9 without the oxygen mask hooks. Most likely has R-14 receivers installed in the leather ear cups. The extra snaps on the sides of the HALO helmet are probably for goggles. Hope this helps.