Service Cap

duarte1223

Model 1902 Signal Sergeant Visor Cap. Uniform is to right. Marked "Samuel S. V. Schermerhorn" with photo.post-8200-1345497269.jpg

Photograph of owner:

post-8200-1345497346.jpg

• 2 years later...

One more Military Police visor cap and a question.

Here is a vinyl white top enlisted MP cap by Bancroft. The tag simply states that it is a Military Police , Class 1 cap. When were these white vinyl MP caps authorized? Were they worn in Viet Nam or just in non-combat zones?

attachicon.gif attachment

Good afternoon-

As recently as 2004 these types of caps were issued as OCIE at the Fort Myer VA CIF to be worn by the Soldiers of the MP company (-) for wear with the ceremonal blue uniform when wearing the MP specific ceremonial items. They would wear the standard dress blue cap while on ceremony, but not conducting MP specific duties.

• 2 years later...
268th C.A.

Here is one for the records, this is a tropical issue pre war dress cap. I was told the enlisted soldier was in the Phillipines in the 1930's. This was back before we asked for names. This one has been in my collection for about 40 years. LOL. Was going through some things and thought i'd share this one.

This could be a private purchase, I've only seen one other.

post-87654-0-83854100-1495143496.jpg

post-87654-0-02868500-1495143518.jpg

• 1 year later...

more pictures....

Just now viewing this topic, what an interesting piece, we would assume this has to be a private purchase rather then a issue item, no?

• 5 years later...
On 1/22/2007 at 10:03 PM, SARGE said:

One more Military Police visor cap and a question.

Here is a vinyl white top enlisted MP cap by Bancroft. The tag simply states that it is a Military Police , Class 1 cap. When were these white vinyl MP caps authorized? Were they worn in Viet Nam or just in non-combat zones?

US_Army_MP_cap_white_top.JPG

I know I'm responding to a 17 year old post here but I just wanted to chime in and say that we were issued caps like that when I was in the Colorado Army National Guard's 220th MP Company in the 1980s.  

Having said that, they were very rarely worn because that cap could only be worn with the full Class A uniform and the Class A was not a very practical uniform for law enforcement duty (the khaki uniform - which would have been much more practical  - was eliminated from the Army after 1981.)  

At this time in the 1980's, the Army Military Police Corps was trying to transition into more of a Combat Support role rather than Law Enforcement.  For this reason, we always wore BDU's on duty, not Class A or B uniforms.  

Interestingly, it must have been common enough that the term "white hat duty" mean "law enforcement duty" because that was the term we used.  IOW if we were going on Annual Training somewhere, an NCO might ask "are we doing combat support or 'white hat' duty?"  The term "white hat" meant law enforcement exclusively.