USS Olympia Murmansk Expedition photo postcards.

Dr_rambow

Did someone on the Forum win any of the 18 of these images that were listed on ebay recently?

The Independence Seaport Museum, the institution that maintains the ship, was bidding on these as well and got 14 of them. As a volunteer on the ship, I would love to get high resolution scans of the images that the museum was not able to acquire. They are all part of one grouping of RPPC images with inscriptions from the same sailor.

Here's one:

post-97349-0-91174800-1485187494_thumb.jpg

I messaged the seller to see if I could get scans if they were available. While they had already shipped the postcards about which I was inquiring, they did mention that they had a duplicate of one the Museum didn't get. Unfortunately it was the one of Olympia in Venice which, despite being a really nice image of the ship, offers no good information on the crew in Murmansk.

They also claimed to have some more photos, but didn't clarify if they were related to the same group.

Still crossing my fingers.

Well, so far no word from anyone.

It's funny, when I asked the seller what the context of these images were they replied:

"I acquired them with a collection of postcards that I purchased 3 years ago and ran across them again when looking for something else. Thought they were interesting so I listed them."

Thanks WWI Nerd! I didn't have a copy of that one.

I still have my fingers crossed that I can find the person who bought these. Supposedly there are more in the Museum archive which I have not had a chance to see, so it is possible we have other copies from this series.

I've been thinking about starting an USS Olympia related thread, I spend enough time there.

• 2 weeks later...

Well they aren't scans, but the seller was gracious enough to send me their (relatively) high resolution photos of the images.

It's about as close as I'm going to get to a scan it seems.

post-97349-0-83654800-1486438784_thumb.jpg