C-1 vest collectors ... Bug repellent

Phfly1010

I just bought a nice c-1 insect repellent tin for $25 at an antique store in Carlisle PA, with a great militaria seller. Question - the tin is full of repellent. For safety reasons, I'm tempted to drill or punch a small hole to drain it but my gut tells me that when it comes time to sell my c-1 item collection (I have about 3/4 of the items) that buyers will want the tin full. Your thoughts? Also, is the tin more likely to deteriorate and eventually perforated with the contents in. Thanks.

Thanks. Cap seems on REALLY tight (stuck?), so that's why the reference to going through the bottom. Appreciate the value comment. Was hoping your would respond given your extensive knowledge of the c-1. If I ever decide to sell my vest and items can you recommend a source to announce my notice? I'm not a seller/reseller, just a collector.

• 5 weeks later...

I purchased a partial case of the stuff someplace about 10 years ago. I only have had one leak. Would suggest laying it on its side for a week or two and see what happens.

• 1 month later...

Heat the cap with a hair dryer then place a rag over it and use pliers....if you can't get it open with your hands.

But please don't drill a hole in it.

Ronnie