4 Pocket and Wool Undershirt

copper252

I got these from a flea market yesterday. I wasn't going to buy it until I realized it was named and had the M-1937 trousers with it.

The tunic is dated 1940 and the under shirt is dated 1941. It is named J. N. Wayland. Could somebody use ancestery on his name?

The tunic has never had any ribbon or patches on it, the only thing has ever been on the tunic is the collar insignia. The Wool shirt has Sergeat stripes on it.

post-163795-0-84230500-1485140019_thumb.jpg

post-163795-0-39223200-1485140029_thumb.jpg

Are all three items with same name? BTW the shirt will not be called an "Undershirt", just plain old OD Wool Shirt :D.

There is only 2, the four pocket tunic and the Od wool shirt, and yes they have the same name.

There is only 2, the four pocket tunic and the Od wool shirt, and yes they have the same name.

Thank You copper. Strange no Sgt stripes were on the coat, did you check for ghostings on the inside outside sleeves?

Thank You copper. Strange no Sgt stripes were on the coat, did you check for ghostings on the inside outside sleeves?

I just did, there is nothing. I was thinking, before the field jackets came out they wore these in the field and this could have been his field jacket he didn't put patches on.

I just did, there is nothing. I was thinking, before the field jackets came out they wore these in the field and this could have been his field jacket he didn't put patches on.

Nah, back then in the 20s-30s insignia was worn on the coat even in the field when the type was worn for almost everything, stumped as to why no insignia on this one, as the same name is in both shirt and coat, the only thing I can think of is this was his basic training issue coat, he went overseas and never wore it afterwards, had in his barracks bag, but came home wearing an IKE jacket.

Nah, back then in the 20s-30s insignia was worn on the coat even in the field when the type was worn for almost everything, stumped as to why no insignia on this one, as the same name is in both shirt and coat, the only thing I can think of is this was his basic training issue coat, he went overseas and never wore it afterwards, had in his barracks bag, but came home wearing an IKE jacket.

Do you have ancestery?

the only thing I can think of is this was his basic training issue coat, he went overseas and never wore it afterwards, had in his barracks bag, but came home wearing an IKE jacket.

No Ruptured Duck on the jacket would seem to support that hypothesis. ;)

How many 4 pocket coats were soldiers issued during the war? Just one? Thinking maybe he was issued two and kept one as a "spare", as you said, at the bottom of his duffel bag.

No Ruptured Duck on the jacket would seem to support that hypothesis. ;)

How many 4 pocket coats were soldiers issued during the war? Just one? Thinking maybe he was issued two and kept one as a "spare", as you said, at the bottom of his duffel bag.

That would probably make since.

That guy was in WW2 if that helps:

John Wayland
Social Security Number: ***-**-6452
Birth:
14 Jul 1911
Death:
24 Mar 1978
Cause: Unknown

World War II

Enlistment Date: 11 Jan 1942

Release Date: 03 Oct 1945

• 1 year later...

I recently searched his name and found he was in the 6th Division and was awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart with 1 OLC.

-Seth