Grouping 1942-72 Marine artillery officer

Bob Hudson

This Marine enlisted in 1942 and went to Platoon Leader's training as a first year college student, then into Navy Marine V-12 officer training program at Duke University before getting commissioned.

He retired in 1972 as a Colonel. He was with the 11th Marines in Korea at Inchon and Chosin in 1950. He received the Navy Commendation Medal with combat V. I chatted briefly with him. He's 93. What you see below has been in trunks and footlockers for at least 45 years. It includes a set of herringbone HBT utilities, a set of "Gomer Pyle" utilities as worn by the Marines between HBT's and the Cotton Sateen utilities. The boots are late 50's issue.

The third uniform is just as it came out of the trunk: with ribbons and collar insignia as it was the last time he wore it.

All three uniforms have trousers and covers to go with them.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The herringbone utilities:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Most of the uniform pieces have his name or laundry mark on them, unusual for an officer's kit.

4.jpg

The Gomer Pyle utility uniform: those who had them wore them into the early part of the Vietnam War.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

It was a pleasant surprise when this popped out of one of the trunks: the insignia has been on there at least since 1972, presumably left on the shirt after the last time he wore it before retiring. The trousers have a button fly.

1.jpg

2.jpg

A lot the uniform items are marked with the last four digits of his service number followed by his last intitial.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Nothing much in the way of documents, other than a shipping tag and a several page piece written for those enroute to Vietnam:

1.jpg

A couple of entries from the muster rolls, showing him in Korea early on. I believe he went there again with the 11th Marines near the end of the war.

5010.jpeg

5107.jpeg

These are the trunks: you can see the spider webs on them, and when I opened one I saw a spider scramble off...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Well it turns out he did an hour-long interview with the Korean War Legacy Foundation

It starts with some personal info, and at 2 minutes in he talks about going to Korea:

Well it turns out he did an hour-long interview with the Korean War Legacy Foundation

It starts with some personal info, and at 2 minutes in he talks about going to Korea:

I just watched the video: he does a great job of detailing his experiences early on in Korea.

Really nice interview. He does a great job telling about his job in Korea.

I was so glad to find that: I spoke with him briefly when I bought this grouping from him, but it's a little harder to communicate with him now so I didn't push him for the kind of details that are in the video.

Here's a couple of things I found online. He did mention being involved with Marine amphibious operations in Vietnam and this one newspaper article does note that he was with the Marines "Landing Forces Instructional Team" (actually called the LANDING FORCE TRAINING UNIT) which was headquartered at the Naval Amphbious Base in Coronado, across the bay from San Diego.

I found a LEATHERNECK article about the LFTU's.

anniston.jpeg

landing.jpeg