The Best Ever Fokker D.VII Fabric Presentation Souvenir

1stMinn

This amazing artifact recently surfaced and has taken up temporary abode in our relic room. It was brought back from by Lieutenant Colonel William H. H. Hutton, directly commissioned in 1917 into the Air Service and sent to France that fall. He served as Chief of Personal Services, and later as Assistant Chief of Supply Services. In the latter role he oversaw disposition of both AEF aviation materiel but also shipped captured equipment back to the US.

post-2036-0-57602200-1485046012_thumb.jpg

The inked presentation on the bottom margin is dated 1920 and to a business associate in Detroit. Hutton was an automobile supply business executive before the war, and widely connected in both Detroit and Wilmington Delaware where he died in 1930.

post-2036-0-83072000-1485046018_thumb.jpg

Now if I can convince Austin that it really does not belong on his office wall we just might take it to the SOS next month!

Stephen

Quite amazing piece! As Jerry said, the most common ones are smaller bits of the fabric. Thanks for posting.

Even just the fabric sample is notable. The cross on it with the paint that well preserved and the inscription is something I have never seen before. That's a grail item.

What BUGME said!

Man, fabric remnants don't come much nicer!

I don't collect aviation nor Imperial German items yet, I feel a strong desire to have this on my wall. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like plexiglass over the piece in the photo? Did you get it framed up? It is one of the best WWI cut insignia I have seen.

• 1 month later...

Sealed between two pieces of flexible plastic sheeting just as we purchased it from the grandson of the original owner. Not the best long term protection, but good enough until a future owner is ready to do a formal plexiglas mount.