• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 daskrieg

daskrieg
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,206
  • 236 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

I have several AIRMAIL envelopes from the USS INDICATIVE, I am wondering if anyone has a photo of the ship while it was in the US service (before being sold to the Russians)

Attached Images

• indicative1.jpg

#2 daskrieg

daskrieg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:54 PM

Any help is appreciated.

#3 sundance

sundance
  • Members
    • Member ID: 67,879
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:36 AM

I see that it was an Admirable class minesweeper. You can find pictures of that class of minesweeper. Maybe if you Google Admirable class minesweeper you can find images which include one of your ship. I'm guessing that you have already done this though.

#4 sundance

sundance
  • Members
    • Member ID: 67,879
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

I took a look at "images" of Admirable class minesweepers in Google and still could not find a photo of AM 250. There were comments about the Indicative which was given to the Soviet Union just after WW2 under the Lend Lease program but no photos.

#5 daskrieg

daskrieg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:00 PM

I took a look at "images" of Admirable class minesweepers in Google and still could not find a photo of AM 250. There were comments about the Indicative which was given to the Soviet Union just after WW2 under the Lend Lease program but no photos.

#6 daskrieg

daskrieg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

I have that info also thanks. But i am looking for a pic of it before we sold it to the Russians. Turning out to be a hard search...

#7 stratasfan

stratasfan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,812
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 07:48 AM

How super interesting. No picture! I did find this war diary that states the decommission and transfer to USSR

USSIndicative AM250.JPG

#8 daskrieg

daskrieg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:25 AM

For some reason info on this ship is very difficult to find

#9 stratasfan

stratasfan
  • Members
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:31 PM

I found that the GA Historical Society has the Savannah Shipyard records, and I contacted them. Here is the response:

Thank you for your interest in the collections of the Georgia Historical Society. We appreciate your email regarding obtaining information from our Savannah Shipyard Co. Records (MS 1659) archival collection or any photographs of the USS Indicative (AM 250).

Our Research Center in Savannah is temporarily closed and will reopen in the fall of 2020 following a much-needed renovation and expansion. Unfortunately, our archival collections and research materials are unavailable during this time. Based on the finding aid for the Savannah Shipyard Co. Records collection it does appear that there may be photographs in VM Box 1 (folders 13 &14). Unfortunately, these images have not been digitized and we are unable to access the originals while the Research Center is undergoing renovations.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause and look forward to welcoming our members and patrons to the newly-renovated Research Center in 2020.

Definitely worth trying if you are still interested in 2020.

#10 stratasfan

stratasfan
  • Members
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:33 PM

I also contacted the Naval History and Heritage Command:

Elizabeth - I've checked our entire collection, but unfortunate we don't seem to any images of this ship in our collection. I've checked the other online sources we often go to when we don't have something in our archive, but again have come up empty. Have you tried the National Archives yet? They are the official repository for US Navy photography, so they would be more likely to have something than us (our collections are mostly based on private donations). You can reach their photo archive at: [email protected] 

I'm sorry I was not able to assist.

Lisa

Photo Archivist
Naval History & Heritage Command
805 Kidder Breese Street, SE
Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374

#11 stratasfan

stratasfan
  • Members
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:34 PM

This is totally odd to me that no photo of a ship is out there! So, I contacted that email (which I didn't post fully above) and they have my request and are going to get back to me. I'll post whatever I hear back! Funny, isn't this?

#12 daskrieg

daskrieg
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:13 PM

Thank you for the research but as I stated several times before information on this ship is virtually impossible to find the search continues thank you to all for helping

#13 mikie

mikie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,687
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:24 PM

No photos of this ship? That is weird. Was it part of some top secret project?  Or was it just an ugly ship?

I've poked around a little myself with no luck either.  Hope someone comes up with a picture.  Things like this drive me crazy. Though it's a very short drive.

Mikie 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users