Show some Nam' Grunt Photos!

Justin

post-2843-1223551588.jpg

This Caption reads:

CC 64301

Vietnam

Members of the 101st Abn Div, jump from a UH-1D

helicopter for a sweep near the demilitarized zone.

Photo by SP4 L.T.Gault

221st Sig Co (Pic)

I have more that I will try and post later on. Some still have the captions and some don't. Unfortunately, the print of the radio men is missing it's caption.

Like I said I picked a folder of these original prints out of a PAO trash can sometime in 1976 and they have been in my files ever since. I don't think there were too many Vietnam Re-enactors around in 1976.

Dennis

Jungle Jackets were only authorized for issue, & wear in Vietnam. In many units: it was Optional to wear Jungle uniform, or standard Fatigues [at least during Monsoon season (in Central Highlands); as they kept you warmer].

Very nice shot. defintely in the act of firing his waepon as the spent casings are still flying in the air.

thanks for posting.

Mike

The men in that photo are not re-enactors. I picked this photo and the ones to follow out of a PAO trash can around 1976. The following photos are original color prints and have the original information and captions still glued on the back.

post-2843-1223550923.jpg

439th Signal Battalion

That is Captain Chaplain Angelo Liteky, the battalion chaplian of the 4-12th Infantry, 199th Light Infantry Brigade from 67-68.

He was also the first chaplain of the Vietnam War to be awarded the Medal of Honor. On 7 December 1967, despite being hit in the neck and foot, he personally carried out over 20 seriously wounded Redcatchers to the LZ while the firefight was raging.

Some guys from 4-12 even watched Liteky crawl into the slit trenches of the VC/NVA and read some of the wounded enemy soldiers their last rights. Hardcore. You know the unit is tough when the padre is a hero.

Robby Gouge

NobleLoyalGSD

I wanted to share a few portraits of grunts from the 199th LIB in Vietnam. It is fortunate that we can also learn a little about the following heroes.

To follow: Three portraits taken from the book "They Fought Together" by Robert J. Gouge.

Photos and text used with permission of the author.

Photo 1

Jimmy Martin

Sp5 Jimmy Martin, combat medic and senior aid-man, Charlie Company, 3rd Bn, 7th Inf., 1969-70. Martin was awarded two Silver Stars during his tour with the 199th for his heroic and unselfish actions in combat. Described by other Charlie Company veterans as "the bravest man they had ever seen in combat." Martin routinely risked his life to reach and give aid to severely wounded Redcatchers.

post-1759-1224205013.jpg

NobleLoyalGSD

Photo 2

Jim Titus

Sgt. Jim Titus of Delta Company, 3rd Bn, 7th Inf. humps an M-60 machine gun through the sweltering rice paddies and canals west of the Pineapple near Can Giouc and Horseshoe Bend, mid-1969. ...Titus served several months in a line unit before transferring over to 3/7's Echo Recon where he became a reconnaissance trooper and battalion sniper.

post-1759-1224205171.jpg

NobleLoyalGSD

Photo 3

(Jimmy Martin)

PFC Richard L. Wilson of C/3/7 takes a break after trudging through the rice paddies of the Pineapple plantation, June 1969. On August 7, 1969 PFC Wilson was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Service Cross... While walking the point position for Charlie Company on an airmobile operation near FSB Madeline and Can Giouc, he and his comrades were ambushed by a large force of VC hidden in a thick grove of nipa-palm. Spotting an enemy bunker to his immediate front that was out of grenade range and pouring out heavy and accurate automatic-weapons fire on his platoon, "Private Wilson charged the hostile bunker, placing effective suppressive fire on the enemy as he ran. He advanced to within ten feet of the hostile fortification when he was mortally wounded. His aggressive actions then enabled his fellow soldiers to move out of their exposed positions and route the enemy." Wilson was 20 years old.

post-1759-1224205261.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
1st AAA Group
Marine with M1955 flak vest and standard issue 1/4 size Mercedes Benz SL 190:

post-44075-1224146985_thumb.jpg

Greetz ;)

David

David, that photo was taken in Hue during the Tet Offensive. I cannot recall his name now, but at the time he was a Gunnery Sargeant. I actually served with him years later when he was the Bn SgtMaj of 3/9. The photo with his name was also used in Keiths Nolans book on the Battle of Hue.

1st AAA Group
I wanted to share a few portraits of grunts from the 199th LIB in Vietnam. It is fortunate that we can also learn a little about the following heroes.

To follow: Three portraits taken from the book "They Fought Together" by Robert J. Gouge.

Photos and text used with permission of the author.

Photo 1

Jimmy Martin

Sp5 Jimmy Martin, combat medic and senior aid-man, Charlie Company, 3rd Bn, 7th Inf., 1969-70. Martin was awarded two Silver Stars during his tour with the 199th for his heroic and unselfish actions in combat. Described by other Charlie Company veterans as "the bravest man they had ever seen in combat." Martin routinely risked his life to reach and give aid to severely wounded Redcatchers.

Brave Soldiers all! thumbsup.gif

Have you read a VN bio titled, "Brennan's War"? If I recall correctly he was one of, if not the most highly decorated Soldier to have served in VN. He served with the 7th Cav, was battlefield comissioned to Lt, and transfered to the 199th. He has some very eye opening observations of the 199th particularly after his arrival and up to the Battle of Hiep Duc Valley where he was wounded.

Dunno, but this might interest someone. I was aboard a destroyer offshore providing gunfire support to ground forces when they called for it. Never knew who we helped out, nor did we see or hear of our results other than from an excited ground observer over the radio now and then. However, one bright day I looked up to see a flight of B-52's, perhaps 20-30 of them at altitude, plowing across the sky toward the beach--the beach--that's what sailors called that sandy stuff over there about a mile or two away.

The B-52 flight turned away to the north, then headed back to the east and out of sight. A few moments later, the "beach" blew up, "over there" and the rumble came out to us a bit after that. Anyway this is what I saw that day in 1968. Never kept up with exactly where we were, but generally the gunline ranged from the DMZ south to about the latitude of Saigon--mostly we stayed around the DMZ.

The black silhouette is another destroyer closer to the beach than we were.

post-3515-1226190131.jpg

Army 1967, very high water.

Very cool pic!

This one is printed backwards. I've seen and had original US Army Public Affairs prints of this 199th Infantry Brigade image and yours is backwards.

Have you read a VN bio titled, "Brennan's War"? If I recall correctly he was one of, if not the most highly decorated Soldier to have served in VN. He served with the 7th Cav, was battlefield comissioned to Lt, and transfered to the 199th. He has some very eye opening observations of the 199th particularly after his arrival and up to the Battle of Hiep Duc Valley where he was wounded.

I agree both of Matthew Brennans books are a great read.He served with 1/9(First of the Ninth).He was with the Blue(s) Team if I remember correctly.The ones who went in and mixed it up after the other air asset teams found the enemy and made contact.

I need to replace my copies next trip to the Half Price book store as I lost alot of my Nam books in the flooding last sumer.

RON