A backwards Hawley liner?

Gtilk8455

I recently pick up this pair of fixed bales both with first pattern hawley liners in pretty salty shape. One is a plane Jane and the other is marked with a first LT. Bar. The LT's helmet however has the liner in backwards, I was wondering if anyone else had seen this before, I've seen my fair share of photos whit a helmet worn backwards, but I've never seen anything like this. The liner has to be held in place when moving the helmet otherwise I'm afraid it will fall out, and I'm afraid to remove the liner because of the poor condition it is in. Thanks for looking

Graham

post-153527-0-25342700-1484878828_thumb.jpg

Honestly never seen that before. I cant imagine that was more comfortable with the name in the way of your forehead, but I guess to each there own. Has it been in there long enough that you cant fit it in the right way?

Wearing the helmet backwards allowed for better sight picture when firing from the shoulder. Maybe by reversing the liner, the same effect was achieved?

I really like it. Combat look to it...

Honestly never seen that before. I cant imagine that was more comfortable with the name in the way of your forehead, but I guess to each there own. Has it been in there long enough that you cant fit it in the right way?

It's a real head scratcher isn't it. I haven't tried removing it because of how fragile it seems, but it is definitely not a snug fit, if I don't hold it in place it will fall out if I'm holding the helmet up

Here is an image from Tarawa, the soldier has put his M1 helmet on backwards to get the brim out of his line of vision.

Someone completely ignorant of how the liner and helmet fit together could have smashed the liner in there backwards in civilian life.

post-153625-0-21655000-1484881417_thumb.jpg

Very interesting rig you have there. I've seen photos of special weapons and artillery personel wearing helmets backwards in combat. My understanding is that this was done in order to be able to use the optics on the equipment without removing the helmet. If this was a regular deal for someone, I could see where they might force the Hawley in the shell and intentionally crush the brim. That way you get the full benefit of the fit of the suspension without the obstruction of the brim/visor.

stealthytyler

I suppose if it doesnt fit, force it! I too wonder if someone post war messed it up or if it was actually worn backwards. Very interesting!

Someone over the years probably just put it in backwards without realizing I'd say

That was my thought. Not sure how anyone knows the original user did this.