ERDL SF?

Vix Steel

Picked this up at the Rag House the other day.

Looks like the jump wings patch has been removed...

No signs of there ever been a name tape.

Colors are still nice and fresh.

What do you guys think? Im no expert on the era of the patches.

Thanx!

post-2893-0-54264800-1484868658_thumb.jpg

post-2893-0-42812000-1484868667_thumb.jpg

Looks right. Fully embroidered patches had been fielded before the end of the war.

Also keep in mind a lot of SF troops preferred to wear ERDL well into the 1970's. It was a special uniform to set them apart from the crowd.

Re: Airborne Tab,

Good question that I didn't think of. I'll look to see if it was ever there but at first glance I don't recall seeing any loose threads or ghosting.

The way that US Army tape is on there looks funky to me. Per the reg the name tape was supposed to be sewn horizontally but many soldiers put them on top of the pocket like that so the slant of the tape matched the slant of the pocket. However, every one I've seen has been centered on the pocket, whereas that one is "justified" to the right (wearer's left.) Never saw that before (although I know from experience that strict adherence to uniform regs is not a hallmark of the Special Forces. ;) )

It doesn't have much fade for being an ERDL. Most of the one ones I've seen are pretty worn. I could see that as being something that the soldier kept in his duffel bag but didn't wear much.

the position of the US ARMY tape doesnt look very military or professional to me. pretty fishy to me.

that ERDL looks great though

The way that US Army tape is on there looks funky to me. Per the reg the name tape was supposed to be sewn horizontally but many soldiers put them on top of the pocket like that so the slant of the tape matched the slant of the pocket. However, every one I've seen has been centered on the pocket, whereas that one is "justified" to the right (wearer's left.) Never saw that before (although I know from experience that strict adherence to uniform regs is not a hallmark of the Special Forces. ;) )

It doesn't have much fade for being an ERDL. Most of the one ones I've seen are pretty worn. I could see that as being something that the soldier kept in his duffel bag but didn't wear much.

I seem to recall that slanted tapes were authorized for about a year (1969?) or so in the RVN, but not offset like the one pictured.

• 1 month later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I keep seeing people referring to "Rag houses" and "Rag mills"; what are these mystical places?

Places where Tons (literally) of second hand clothing are ground up so the fibers can be recycled into industrial cleaning cloths or other things like that.

Several members here have contacts inside who can get them military items, it can be a goldmine but they have to sift through a lot of junk. I remember a member here told a story about getting thousands of modern ASUs with all buttons removed and the sleeves slashed, they have to buy everything to stay on the good side of the rag mill owners.

Hope you enjoyed that explanation of a rag mill by somebody who hasn't had the slightest bit of contact with one.

Its a place were Unicorns and Bigfoot roam...

Details are accurate.

The place I visit is very large and has mountains of used clothing. Its sorted by the workers so there is a designated area where all Army and camo clothing go.

The ownership is very nice but all business. There is a quota that needs to be purchased monthly. Some items have to be bought per piece while other categories are per weight.

Price increases, rule changes ect happen without any notice and no returns.

Where I go its very well kept, orderly, clean and bright. I have been to others that are very dark, poorly run and maintained. Still you can expect to find rat dropping, soiled clothing and lots of dust and dirt. Ive even found a few needles while digging in piles.

There is a surprising amount of drama also. I have seen people kicked out over the littlest of issue.

Good scores are now far between. Mostly modern clothing these days as everything is picked through at every stage of sorting.

Anything older looking is taken by employees or other "pickers".

Im fortunate to be able to go when I want as these places are not open to the public. Always fun to go but I wouldn't miss it if I couldn't go anymore.