Help with Campaign Stars on Ribbon Bar

Sparty On

I'm trying to help a coworker narrow down possibilities for campaign stars on her father-in-laws ribbon bar. He was part of the 6th Army in the Pacific. There's a star on the Phillipine Liberation ribbon which I suggested was for the invasion of the Phillipines. I thought maybe the two remaining stars on the Asiatic-Pacific ribbon were for involvement with the New Britain and New Guinea campaigns. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

post-104736-0-01671600-1484667611.jpg

The Philippine Liberation Ribbon is a Foreign Award. The star on the ribbon indicates participation in one combat operation against the Japanese Forces between October 17, 1944 and September 2, 1945. During that time there were 3 combat operations in the Philippines; Leyte 1944-1945, Luzon 1944-1945 & Southern Philippines 1945.

The Liberation Ribbon was awarded by the Philippine Government to Filipino and US personnel for participation in the Liberation of the Philippines and the star represents participation in one of those battles.

Moving over to the US issued Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, at least one of those stars represents participation in the same battle in the Philippines as the star on the Philippine Liberation ribbon. One award being from the US Government and one award being from the Philippine Government.

The second battle star on the Asiatic-Pacific ribbon was probably for a battle prior to the Liberation of the Philippines.

I hope this helped and wasn't too confusing.

Dennis

The Philippine Liberation Ribbon is a Foreign Award. The star on the ribbon indicates participation in one combat operation against the Japanese Forces between October 17, 1944 and September 2, 1945. During that time there were 3 combat operations in the Philippines; Leyte 1944-1945, Luzon 1944-1945 & Southern Philippines 1945.

The Liberation Ribbon was awarded by the Philippine Government to Filipino and US personnel for participation in the Liberation of the Philippines and the star represents participation in one of those battles.

Moving over to the US issued Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, at least one of those stars represents participation in the same battle in the Philippines as the star on the Philippine Liberation ribbon. One award being from the US Government and one award being from the Philippine Government.

The second battle star on the Asiatic-Pacific ribbon was probably for a battle prior to the Liberation of the Philippines.

Dennis

No, not at all. Actually much clearer now. Thanks, Dennis, much appreciated!

Dennis

Hello

That was a interesting information.

Is the ribbon upside down ?

I think the Army Good Conduct Medal should be first, then followed by US campaign ribbons, last followed by foreign. If you rotate the ribbon bar 180deg it could be in the correct order but then are 3 ribbons at top and two in second row.

In my understanding the ribbon bar has two ribbons at top row and three at second row, so the ribbons had to take off and arranged new. ?!

Michael

Michael you are correct, the ribbons are completely out of order but if that is the way it was found and worn by the veteran I would leave it as it is. It is not uncommon to see ribbons on original WWII jackets out of order of precedence.

The correct order would be Good Conduct, American Theater, Asiatic-Pacific Theater, WWII Victory, Philippine Liberation.

Found this on the forum

Army rules for service stars on the Philippine Liberation Ribbon are still covered in the current Awards and Decorations regulation (paragraph 9-8, page 124, AR 600-8-22, December 11, 2006).nearly 70 years after the fact.amazing.

Briefly, there were four separate eligibility conditions for this ribbon. Satisfying any one of the four yielded the basic ribbon. After that: "An individual who meets more than one of the conditions set forth [by this regulation] is authorized to wear a bronze service star on the ribbon for each additional condition.other than that under which he or she is eligible for the initial award of the ribbon." So, theoretically, three stars would be the maximum allowed on the Philippine Liberation ribbon. You didn't ask about stars on the Philippine Defense Ribbon the answer is that one is authorized. There were two eligibility conditions for this ribbon and anyone who satisfied both would be entitled to wear the star. As for the Philippine Independence Ribbon, no service stars are authorized.

I believe a Philippine Liberation Ribbon with a battle star indicates service in two of the four categories.