USMC winter weather training?

Bluehawk

Official public affairs photo of myself and a Norwegian at a demonstration for the Minister of Defense prior to the start of Joint Viking

1000w_q95 (2).jpg

A couple of official Norwegian Public Affair images of myself, a Norwegian, and a Royal Marine at same event. I stumbled upon one of these on a Pakistani news site, as well as the official Norwegian public affairs site

IMG-20170315-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20170315-WA0005.jpg

And this is what Marines do when their PltSgts are busy...climb on other peoples' tanks... another Norwegian official photo

1000w_q95 (12).jpg

Official public affairs photos of a couple of my Marines conducting hand checks and turning snow into drinking water during the exercise

1000w_q95 (3).jpg

1000w_q95 (9).jpg

Due to the position, in order to make it tactically sound we had to dig extensive trenches at this position. One of my squad leaders paced it off at over 600m, the longest trench any of the instructors had seen at a single position. A white out moved in that night and in the morning we had to dig it back out. We called this position 'Hoth'. Here's an official Public Affairs shot of three of my guys in the comm trench as the snow was picking up

1000w_q95 (1).jpg

Another position we occupied night after the white out. It was a rather long, tall hill, that had views of desolate nothingness. We referred to this spot as "the moon"

100_0411.JPG

Image of the company after the exercise, all sporting 10 day beards... It's an official photo I found on DVIDs but can't seem to find the clear full size at the moment

17434630_1223542477760734_2064800374017379355_o.jpg

Last shot, and official Norwegian public affairs photo of the Northern Lights during the exercise. We must have seen them around 8-10 nights in total. Generally a pale green, however the best was the night of the ambush image, while we were getting ready to head out the sky lit up with every color of the rainbow in streams and rings, and pulsated and moved as we watched. One of the most incredible things I've ever seen in my life

If I can find the Norwegian site again I will post the link to hundreds of photos of the exercise. Many were posted on a forum here... http://www.americanmilitaryforum.com/forums/threads/exercise-joint-viking-2017.1945/

Without question, one of the best experiences of my career. I absolutely loved the arctic, and would gladly return on vacation. I am hoping to find a way to get to the Antarctic with the Corps now, but I don't think that happens much these days. But then again, I never would have imagined I'd end up spending 41 days in the arctic circle. If you guys ever get the chance to see it, take it.

FIH_3147.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing Tim: did you feel a kinship with the Iceland Marines when you were there? Granted they didn't have the isolation and weather you seemed to have had further north.

Was this first time you ever wore all layers of the multi-layered cold weather gear?

Thanks so much for sharing Tim: did you feel a kinship with the Iceland Marines when you were there? Granted they didn't have the isolation and weather you seemed to have had further north.

Was this first time you ever wore all layers of the multi-layered cold weather gear?

I felt a kinship to the Icelandic Marines and I used the environment to relate the training to Chosin for the boys. It got down somewhere between -25 to -28 degrees celsius some nights.

I had not used most of the cold weather gear before this deployment, having never been to Bridgeport. Fortunately for me, I also run hot, I think, as I actually never needed to layer up more than a polypro and gortex when active, and almost never needed my mittens, and the only time I had cold feet was when I went for a swim. Some guys, however, certainly took advantage of the plethora of layers we were issued.

I had complained last year that I hadn't seen any real snow in a dozen years. Then I discovered where I was going, and it certainly made up for it

Not equivalent by any means, but I will never forget doing 3 days of snow camping in the BSA, late 1950s... the intense cold at night, the hard hard hard ground, getting started in the morning, keeping clean and dry - simple stuff like that.

Thanks for the pictures...

Really very interesting Brig, I hope you can get back here again too.... maybe they will look for some instructors who have experience here in the future!

Cheers, John

great pix Brig! a stunning, if frigid, landscape. Northern lights have to be one of the most beautiful sights an Earthling can see.

How did your gear hold up? was it equal to the environment? how did your gear compare to Royal Marines and the Norwegians?

Terry