BAR's in Use by Airborne units of WWII (Discussion)

Ronny67

I asked myself the question a few times, and have found contradicting evidence. I was wondering if folks here would like to discuss the issue of BARs in airborne units during WWII.

I found this on Mark Bando's trigger time site:

"Most members of a rifle squad were armed with 30-06 caliber M-1 Garand rifles, which were a much more potent weapon than the carbine, which lacked range and knockdown power. The M1-A1 carbine with a folding stock, was issued to officers, also to some members of crew-served weapons (i.e. 60mm mortar squad), while non coms(sergeants) carried the M1-A1 or M1928A1 Thompson submachine-gun. This included Staff Sgts (platoon Sgts) and 3 stripe Buck Sgts (squad leaders). These weapons were prescribed by the TO&E (Table of Organization & Equipment), but individuals frequently opted for-and usually got, whatever they wanted. This switching was done on the battlefield, if not accomplished prior to a mission. Since the M-1 Garand was the best all-around weapon, many officers also used it, instead of the carbine, and some noncoms swapped their TSMG for an M-1. Some members of crew-served weapons also preferred the M-1 over the carbine, despite it's extra weight, when they were also carrying such items as MG ammo, tripods, baseplates, mortar tubes, 40lb A-4 machineguns, etc. If all the paratroopers had been equipped with carbines instead of M-1 rifles, it would have been a lot more difficult for the 101st Airborne to win any battles.

Each rifle squad contained a LMG crew, (instead of the B.A.R. found in regular infantry companies) and the PIR squad tactics were built around the LMG laying a base of fire.
The officer breakdown was as follows: Company Commander was a 1st Lt or Captain, with a 1st Lt. as company XO(Executive Officer, meaning 2d in command). Each platoon had two Lts, (a 1st Lt plt leader and a 2d Lt asst. platoon ldr). Each platoon also had 1 staff sgt, who was the platoon sgt (in a regular infantry platoon, this job was performed by a Tech Sgt), and four buck sgts, who served as the squad leaders. Each squad also had a corporal, who served as assistant squad leader.
Each battalion had 1 Headquarters company and 3 rifle companies. The Bn HQ Co. was a bit larger, numerically, than a rifle company (closer to 150 personnel) and had a 81mm mortar platoon, a LMG platoon and a communications platoon, also a bn. Mess Section.
HQ Co. 1st Bn supported A,B, and C companies.
HQ Co 2d Bn supported D,E, and F companies.
HQ Co 3rd Bn supported G, H, and I companies.

note: The Browning Automatic Rifle (B.A.R.) was not issued to WW2 paratroopers because it was considered too awkward to jump with. It was not listed on the TO&E for Parachute Infantry rifle companies. The weapon weighs about 20 lb and is four feet long and cannot be broken down for jumping purposes. This is why squad tactics centered around the LMG (dropped in bundles) instead. The B.A.R. was an effective and devastating weapon and immediately after WW2, the 82nd and 11th Airborne Divisions incorporated them into their TO&Es and devised a method of jumping with them fully-assembled, and strapped alongside the parachutist's leg, muzzle down."

I have come across multiple mentions in veteran recollections of parachute units utilizing the BAR in theatre despite the official TOE reports. I have seen glider troops with BARs and one photo of the 509 PIB using them, but the 509 seems to have an incredible amount of strange and modified weapons other larger units do not display....

Anyone have photos or evidence to contribute? Were they used or no? Thanks guys...

post-153625-0-73202200-1484521511_thumb.jpg

I think they were often "gained" after the initial battle when the toe goes out the window.

Not to address your question, but to reinforce Bando about the Garand. Don Jakeway was a machine gunner and ditched his carbine early for a Garand.

I know that one platoon of B /502 had BARs in an equipment bundle for the Normandy operation. Lt. Brandenberger retrieved said weapon and used it until he could find a replacement Thompson SMG as his was lost on the drop. Hope this helps I don't think that they were a TO&E weapon for the parachute infantry troopers,but they were procured and used as photos prove. The photo of the 101st troops in 43s is 327th glider which did have BARs on the TO&E. Best Paul

In the memoirs I have read from the 101st, 82nd and the independent units; BARs are mentioned in use, with greater frequency as the war progresses. Is this a trend others have noticed as well?

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Hi Ronnie,

this is two other interesting pics illustrating BAR utilization in the 17th AB :

The first one shows Staff Sgt George H LOSS (466th PFAB) firing with a BAR during the Battle of the Bulge.

post-130594-0-23427200-1484683380_thumb.jpg

The second one was realized on early March 24, 1945 just before the take off for Varsity.

post-130594-0-46414700-1484683385_thumb.jpg

Richard

Thomas Lloyd Rodgers 504th PIR (yes 504th) was awarded the DSC for having killed 50 german soldiers near La Fière Bridge... he manned a BAR gun.

He was killed some days later on June 15th

I digged up his burial cross ID plate on a temporary US cemetery.site ... same was sent back to a NOK in Ala.

That is a good pic Skiph but i believe its post war. Which book is it from?

I have a good copy of that picture that came with a group named to James Reid. Post #18

i believe its an original pic of one of his jumps in the '50s

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/243912-ssg-james-a-reid-macv-sog-items/

63 RECON- The book "PARATROOPER" by COL. Francis X. Bradley, & LTC H. Glen Wood. I've always wondered, when you see the the

full picture if it is not a US military installation. Could very well be a 50s picture. Hard to tell. SKIP

I know this one is sort of the opposite of what your looking for, but I thought it maybe interesting to see a glider infantry squad with an LMG.

post-17422-0-15348100-1485199000_thumb.jpg

Glider Infantry rifle companies had a weapons platoon from their inception, so it's not surprising to see a portion of one readying for action.