Vietnam display questions

Art

I want to make a display of Vietnam War major US Army & USMC patches.

The Army part was pretty easy to figure out what I needed but i am having trouble with deciding what Marine patches I need.

Only 2 I am 100%sure I would want are the !st & 3rd Divisions. And I think I should also have a 1st Aircraft Wing.

Did the Regiments wear their own SSI or did they wear the Divisions SSI?

Did the III MAF & 9th Amphib Bde actually have a SSI they would wear?

Any other advice on what I should display for the USMC part?

Art - Good morning. Good questions. As I'm sure you're aware the Marine Corps stop wearing SSIs shortly after WW II. If you are looking to display worn SSIs for the Marine Corps I believe the answer would generally be there weren't any. With that said Battalion level and higher have their own official Battalion crests. You might consider displaying patch versions of the Battalion and Squadron unit and higher crests in patch form. If you really are going for the period appearance maybe look for theater made patches of unit crests. I'm not going to say Marines never wore unit patches on their uniforms because as soon as I do someone will find a period photo. I would say that if they did it certainly was unofficial. Look forward to hearing what others have to say.

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I'm extremely new to USMC patches and I did not know the Marines stopped wearing SSI after WWII. No wonder I couldn't find much info or pictures on the web! I may have to re-think my display now.