For Today's Study & Discussion -M1 Bayonet

SKIPH

Just saw this gem on ebay, item # 192078598902. This one appears to be a repro M1 bayonet and scabbard, that has been aged, and the pics are excessively fuzzy. The bayonet itself has the wide flat fuller like an early M1905, which I don't recall existing on legitimate M1 bayonets. It also appears aged. The stamps appear to be purposely photographed out of focus in order to be "not read". The scabbard throat also poorly photographed, and looks to be aged too. If you read the ad, it is very vague, with no mention of the bayonet's manufacturer. Finally, the seller is in China. Normally I'm a little sympathetic toward the seller, who may not have the product knowledge, and tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. But I honestly feel that this item was posted in a way to deceive a potential buyer. The deceptions seem to be increasing on ebay. So new collectors, learn everything you can about what you collect, there are folks out there who will purposely rip you off. You are warned! Anyone see anything else for today's discussion on what appears to be an aged M1 bayonet. As usual if someone could post the pics I'd appreciate it. THX SKIP

As an added note. Delivery is expected Tuesday Feb. 21, or Mon. April 3. This item has like 6 days and hours left. SKIP

To be honest,they "make" some great things. Things you can't find here. I doubt there are many U.S. Veterans ,or U.S. Edged weapons laying around there.

Hi Folks,

You all have established this M1 is a reproduction, but since this thread is about study and discussion, here are a few observations.

1. 1. As skip noted, no M1 bayonets (non-cutdown) were dated 1942. In fact 99% of the uncut M1s were not dated at all. Try as you might, even though the pictures are poor, you cannot make a "1943" out of this photo as you compare it with my photo of a dated UFH M1.
  2. 2. This UHF should have that goofy flaming bomb UFH is famous for. This one does not have a hint of that.
  3. 3. I noticed that this M1 has a square fuller. I’m not so sure there are square fullered M1s at all.
  4. 4. I can’t say much about the scabbard since the pics are not clear enough. The shape of the body of the scabbard looks like it’s good.

That’s about all I have with the pictures as they are. Thanks.

Marv

post-26996-0-32014300-1484508312.jpg

A good friend and noted bayonet collector and author has a M1 bayonet dated 1942. I don't recall the manufacturer but the bayonet is 100% correct. Could be the die from the 1905 bayonet was used to stamp this one.

A good friend and noted bayonet collector and author has a M1 bayonet dated 1942. I don't recall the manufacturer but the bayonet is 100% correct. Could be the die from the 1905 bayonet was used to stamp this one.

OK, there you go...always coming up with an exception...never saw THAT one coming. LOL

Marv

Wow, that "42 dtd. M1 is neat. My dtd. M1's are all dated "43. THAT is a neat exception. Took me a long time to get the 4 dtd. M1's. that I am aware exist.