• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Got da Penny

Got da Penny
  • Members
    • Member ID: 633
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

Hey Gang, I have always been interested in owning a wooden ammo crate, But they always seemed too big and bulky.

Well, I came across this one Saturday and knew it was just the right size.
and it was Marked very well.

MVC_001F.JPG

MVC_002F.JPG

MVC_003F.JPG

MVC_004F.JPG

MVC_005F.JPG

How much are these crates Worth on todays market anyways .??

Thanks, Carey

#2 El Bibliotecario

El Bibliotecario
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,215
  • 913 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

My first thought when reading this post was that anyone who has always wanted to own an ammo crate needs to get a life. Then I remembered the accumulation of junk in my garage. I'd be happy to sell you a couple ammo crates from my accumulation, but the shipping would be so much that I'd be embarrassed to quote a price.

One stumbling block to achieving your dream is that shipping such junk usually costs more than its value. The last time I visited J&G Sales in Prescott, AZ, they had a mountain of wooden ammunition crates piled outside on their loading dock--buyers choice for $5. No one was lining up to buy them, but it was summer. Mabye when it gets colde they'll be more demand for firewood.

If you have a use for .30 ammuniton you could buy a crate from the CMP--their prices are very competitive, and the .30 ammuntion comes in a nice crate. Or if you have time on your hands, you could make your own crate--after a few decades no one will know if its original.

#3 Got da Penny

Got da Penny
  • Members
    • Member ID: 633
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

I am glad these are worth something. Since i plan on putting ordnance and other ww2 items in the box for storage. Hence the "perfect size" comment.

WWII M2HB Ammo Crate MB GPW Halftrack Wood Box EMPTY
Item number: 120313255187

I just didnt know many of these were well preserved, thats why i bought it for $5 bucks.

Carey

#4 notinfringed

notinfringed
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,011
  • 988 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

The last time I visited J&G Sales in Prescott, AZ, they had a mountain of wooden ammunition crates piled outside on their loading dock--buyers choice for $5. No one was lining up to buy them, but it was summer. Mabye when it gets colde they'll be more demand for firewood.

That's quite funny. I grew up in Prescott. if you drive around to the left of the loading dock in front of J&G, you will find a large dumpster. Next to the dumpster, is where they put all of the garbage ammo crates and oak shipping pallets. We often loaded these up to burn on cold nights out in woods (back in my rowdier days) :lol:

Levi

#5 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

Carey:

That is a nice ammo crate and will work just fine in the role you have planned for it. The ammunition that used to be in it was API (Armor Piercing Incendiary) which was manufactured at TW (Twin Cities Ordnance Plant located in Minneapolis.) For $5 you did alright.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

#6 kphfun

kphfun
  • Banned
    • Member ID: 3,273
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:50 PM

Carey:

That is a nice ammo crate and will work just fine in the role you have planned for it. The ammunition that used to be in it was API (Armor Piercing Incendiary) which was manufactured at TW (Twin Cities Ordnance Plant located in Minneapolis.) For $5 you did alright.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

I agree with Charlie and as a "Ammo Box Freak" I can also say that the older box's are not a dime a dozen in any way when it come's with clean, bright nomanclature and wood that is not all banged up. Here are two that i picked up in the last couple of month's, 20.00 and 10.00 for the two. I clean them and then give them a auto clear coat, (you have to prime your wood fist with a clear shallack!) and add some finish head furniture screw's and they become great heavyduty storage box's with a cool theme.

Attached Images

• 30_cal_box.JPG

#7 kphfun

kphfun
  • Banned
    • Member ID: 3,273
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:50 PM

.50 cal box

Attached Images

• 50cal_ammo_box.JPG

1 user(s) are reading this topic