Sweetheart Pillow covers / pillow shams

Greg Sebring

My dad sent this back home to his girl (later my mother). I'm not sure what the proper way to display it was. I've seen some framed like a picture and hung on the wall.

Greg

post-118-1168783194.jpg

A lot of these were made as pillow shams (covers). Is yours a wall hanging or a pillow sham?

SARGE,

Mine is just folded like a hankie would be. Now that you mention pillows, I think I've seen them made up as such. Could be mom just never got around to doing it or preferred it this way.

Thanks for the input,

Greg

Greg,

The variety of these things is simply staggering. There is a military museum in St. Joseph, MO that has dozens of these on display... all different. The museum displays them on a rotating rack, rather like a tea towell rack on steroids. The 8' tall rack must have originally been meant to display towels in a department store or something. Not too good for your display purposes but it works great for the museum.

Thanks for showing it!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I wanted to show you all my pillow cover. It's my one and only pillow cover, but I like it because it's from the 112th IR, 28th ID. Hope you like it. Please post you're pillow covers if you want to.

Edit: Oops seems I can't find the photo's, I will post them tomorrow. Sorry :unsure:

General Apathy

post-344-1171535969.jpgpost-344-1171535935.jpg

post-344-1171535910.jpgpost-344-1171535884.jpg

Hello everyone posting pillow cases, here are a few from my collection, they cover various branches of the forces, also ranging from WWI, mid-wars, WWII.

One to note is the framed Paratroop one for Ft. Benning it shows the first para wings when they were straight like airforce ones, before the wing-tips were curved into the recognisable regular para wings. I think mention is made of this style of wing in the book ' Paratrooper' by Gavin. Cheers ( Lewis )

craig_pickrall

Ken, that is probably the single most impressive collection of pillow covers I have seen. Very nice!

General Apathy

Hi Craig, thanks for the complimentry words on the pillow covers. I have a one-off hand embroidered cover featuring Betty Boo with a 29th Inf Div patch on her garrison cap, I will try to find that and post later. Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi Craig, thanks for the complimentry words on the pillow covers. I have a one-off hand embroidered cover featuring Betty Boo with a 29th Inf Div patch on her garrison cap, I will try to find that and post later. Cheers ( Lewis )

Very impressive!

General Apathy

post-344-1171561271.jpg

Hi Craig & Forum Support, thanks again for the booster on the covers. I found the Betty Boo cover, it is a one-off hand embroidered cover, it shows Betty blowing a bugle and wearing a 29th Inf. Div. patch on her garrison. There is some wear to some of the threads mainly on her sleeve chevrons and a little more to her hair. I still think it's an outstanding cover though, and obviously hours of loving care went into making it for someone with a connection to the 29th. Cheers ( Lewis )

craig_pickrall

That is a neat cover. A one off hand made from the looks. Did you notice the 29th patch is backward? The blue should be to the left.

General Apathy

Hi Craig, thanks for pointing out that the 29th patch is back to front, that's because she is wearing the female ' no sense or reason' version. Hee Hee Cheers ( Lewis )

I listed this one on another thread thinking it was a wall hanging not thinking about a pillow sham. SARGE set me straight. This is WWII vintage sent home by my dad.

Greg

post-118-1171634981.jpg