USMC Contract Overseas Cap

nchistory

WW1 U. S. Marine Corps overseas Cap with a USMC Quartermaster (HQ, or MO)??, Philadelphia stamp, has ID but too worn to read.

There is more to stamp under Philadelphia, as well as writing in cap but impossible for to read.

it may be closest to "French Style", but apparently the USMC had these made given the stamp? I can't find this one in the reference books.

post-153086-0-70432500-1484007842.jpg

post-153086-0-40551500-1484007821.jpg

Neat cap, I have never seen those markings. I have a RPPC of a Marine in Germany 1919 wearing this style of cap. Nice, and thanks for sharing. Kevin

world war I nerd

Both caps are variations of the French Army's Modele 1918 Bonnet de Police. I have no idea of the actual numbers,but probably thousands of French pattern overseas caps were manufactured from khaki, mustard & olive drab woolen fabric in France for the AEF.

Your cap is the first one I've ever seen with USMC markings ... what a great pair of caps!

world war I nerd, thanks for your response, from what information I am finding, it appears this is a previously unknown WW1 USMC contract cap ca. 1918-19. I do believe it is an American copy of the French M-18, and by the way it is only 1 cap posted. I just unfolded the peak at the corners to extend to original shape that this Marine had altered. I spoke with Alec yesterday evening, and this is also the first he has seen, and mentioned he had read an article about the introduction of this cap in 1918-19, but none are known. Hopefully he can find this article, as this is truly a neat discovery.

Neat cap, I have never seen those markings. I have a RPPC of a Marine in Germany 1919 wearing this style of cap. Nice, and thanks for sharing. Kevin

Kevin, would you mine posting RPPC? If not send via message, would love to see. Thanks

Can't recall seeing these marks in a WWI cap, but I have seen USMC marked inside WWII or Korea era caps. Interesting mark, some sharp corners on that baby. I imagine those corners may have made it unpopular, hence why they don't surface often

world war I nerd

I have seen soldiers wearing French pattern caps with the corners pushed or folded in like your USMC cap ... some even put a few stitches through the folded corner in order to make that alteration permanent.

I also questioned the USMC marking. If it was procured overseas by the AEF, why it would have a USMC stamp,unless of course the cap was specifically marked as USMC property once it reached the 4th Marine Brigade?I've always wondered if the Department of the Navy had to cover the bill of all the Army clothing that was issued to USMC and U.S. Navy personnel serving in the AEF.

If the cap was U.S. made in 1918 -1919, I wonder why they went with the French pattern cap rather than the U.S. or British two button pattern cap that seemed to be favored by Marine personnel.

Anyway,here are some images of Marines wearing French pattern caps in France & Germany ...

First a pair of 2nd Battalion,5th Regiment Marines either during or shortly after Belleau Wood and a Navy Pharmacist Mate also from Belleau Wood.

Pharmacist Mate photo courtesy of the Belleau Wood collection

post-5143-0-11370800-1484105913.jpg

post-5143-0-95175700-1484106048.jpg