Cleaning cosmoline off a sword blade

Twillie2

I have a Japanese sword that has had cosmoline applied to the blade. I understand that the blade has been covered in it for about 30 years. Since I acquired it, I am wondering if the cosmoline shouldn't be removed. And i also learned that the blade should be cleaned and wiped with a specific type of oil. What is the oil I should use? Is the cosmoline bad for the blade? Thanks for your help. R/ Twillie2

BILL THE PATCH

Kerosene will take it right off. They use that to take it off rifles that are packed with cosmoline

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I would certainly recommend to remove old cosmoline. Last year I picked up a Belgian Army pocket knife (British model jack knife) from the 1950's for a few dollars. Covered all over in Belgian Army preservation grease. I don't know how long the grease had been on it, but it must have been decades. Where the grease was thickest, the rust pitting was deepest. Somehow this grease becomes hygroscopic over time. Do not leave it on!

I think some of the old grease can get a bit acidic after a long period of time.

I have seen german daggers, swords and dress bayonets covered in grease and it will lift or react/eat through the plating in areas.

Once you get the cosmoline off, you might want to consider grabbing a sword maintenance kit from Amazon or eBay ($10-20).

Ace Martial Arts Supply Japanese Samurai Katana Sword Maintenance Cleaning Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009TNGQC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zx8FybTCRDBMP

These have uchiko powder and choji oil, both of which should be used for regular cleaning/oiling of this type of steel. Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve is absolutely correct about a proper Japanese cleaning kit. The value of Japanese "old swords" is almost entirely in the blade rather than the fittings. Value can quickly and easily be destroyed by improper cleaning. Along with forge flaws, pits, wire brush marks, sharpening, etc. value is diminished. I always use the "do no harm" philosophy when cleaning sword blades so be careful.