WWII 225th Field Artillery Captured Japanese Flag Grouping

Charger22

Well this is my first time creating a post so hopefully the photos and all upload okay but in any case here it goes

Several months ago I picked up a grouping with a Japanese Flag, small banner, letters and a few small items in an antique store. The flag had a few condition issues and was pretty plain but it did have the capture document with it so I went ahead and picked it up. Well I had a little time this weekend so finally got around to putting it in a frame (will probably get it professionally framed someday) and getting all the paperwork arranged and let me say it turned out to be a little more interesting that I originally thought. To start with the flag The veteran who brought it back was a member of Battery A, 225th Field Artillery Battalion (part of XXIV Corps Artillery) and after reading his VMAIL letter to his mom (text below) it appears he picked the flag up during the Mariana Islands campaign at Tinian or his time on Saipan.

CPL LAWRENCE MELLETT 35128128

BTRY A 225 FA APO 969

% PM SAN FRANCISCO, CALIF

AUG, 30, 1944

To:

Mrs. C.P. MELLETT

1811 MAPLE AVE

NORWOOD (12) OHIO

Passed by US Army Examiner 03320

V- MAIL LETTER:

Tinian, Mariana (Islands)

Dear Mom,

The last time I wrote Norma I was on a boat heading for the Mariana Islands. Since then I have taken part in the battles of Saipan and Tinian. Naturally I am happy to be able to tell you I cam through without a scratch. Other than a Japanese Flag, some coins, ect. I have nothing to show for the past couple of months except experience which I hope will come in handy later.

I hope you don't feel too badly about me not writing more often (guess I'm lazy) Also hope you and pop are in the best of health.

Your prodigal son,

Larry

post-159692-0-82110300-1483923630.jpg

post-159692-0-18001800-1483923643.jpg

post-159692-0-11482100-1483923651.jpg

Also included was another letter he wrote home this time from Okinawa. he doesn't talk much about the battle (the censors would likely not have let it through if he did) but does mention receiving items from home, rationing at home, the points system, and his unit foraging for food on Okinawa. It seems during the course of the war the Soldier fought with his unit through Saipan, Tinian in the Marianas, Leyte in the Philippines and finally Okinawa. Truly someone who saw many of the major engagements of the Pacific Campaign. I am honored to be the caretaker of this flag and history. Below is the typed letter he wrote home from Okinawa.

CPL L. MELLETT 35128128

BTRY A 225 FA BN

APO 235 % PM

SAN FRANCISCO, CALIF

Post Marked US Army Postal Service- APR 30 1945- 235

To:

Mr. & Mrs. C.P. MELLETT

1811 MAPLE AVE

NORWOOD (12)

OHIO

Passed by US Army Examiner 03320

Okinawa

April 2, 1954

Dear mom,

Happy Easter. Do you know that if I would have written one letter a week since I was last home (once upon a time 3 1/2 years ago) I could have written 172 letters home. I am afraid I fell very far short of that mark. But even though I never reached that quota I want you to know that I have never forgotten anyone.

As you will know, by the time this letter reaches you that Okinawa is the scene of the latest push we are making against the Japs in the Pacific. We came up here after mopping up Leyte in the Phillip Philippines.

While on board ship I received your Christmas packages. The candy has almost turned into sugar but it still hit the spot because we did not receive any candy rations while en route. how did you even manage to get a carton of gum? I was under the impression that it was very scarce back there. It gave me an uneasy feeling to think it may have been necessary to sacrifice in order to send it because we do get some gum along with our rations.

Do you remember me telling you about drawing for a furlough while back on Tinian? Well a fellow from my section just returned after five months, one of which was spent at home. Boy! did I envy hime! Oh well, I may get back after this operations but I doubt it.

April 22

It seems i always start a letter but never finish it but I am just as determined that I shall finish this one as MacArthur was when he said, “I shall return.”

Received everyones birthday and Easter greetings together a couple of days ago. Speaking of birthdays did you know that Norma's’ birthday marks my third year overseas.

Now a little about Okinawa. As far as the tactical situation is concerned you can read that in the newspapers. But the part I'm concerned with most is the cold, since we have been here it has gone down as low as 59 F which is pretty damned cold to us after spending most of our time in the tropics. Of course we've been very lucky as far as food is concerned as much of the island as we have covered so far is cultivated. Before our kitchen was set up most every section in the battery has a stew of some sort or another. So far we have had chicken fresh cabbage, carrots, onions and sweet potatoes ect,. Now that the kitchen has setup up we have had a couple of pigs and cows which a few fellows.

went out and butchered. Just think no red or blue points to fuss with.

Have you received the hundred dollar treasury check I sent home while on Leyte? Don't know how I did it though because those Filipinos could keep a person broke all of the time with their exorbitant prices.

Well I still have Norma's letter to answer so I have better close.

Larry

PS. Just heard about a new point system to effect “Rotations.” I will have 124 points when it starts in June.

CPL. L. Mellett 35128128

Battery A- 225 F.A. BN. APO 235

PM San Francisco, California

post-159692-0-54414600-1483926583.jpg

post-159692-0-06297500-1483926596.jpg

post-159692-0-40103400-1483926603.jpg

post-159692-0-53169200-1483926610.jpg

If that wasn't cool enough their was also a letter wrote to Larry from one of his friends form the neighborhood who served in the 8th Air Force as a navigator and was shot down. I did a little digging on this gentleman and found out he was part of the 44th Bomb Group and was shot down on 28 DEC 1944 and held as a POW for the rest of the war. Curiously the fiend writes it was his 25th mission he was shot down on but the logs for the squadron indicate it was his 27th Mission. This discrepancy could possibly be attributed to Cohen’s crew turning back on a mission before entering enemy territory (typically due to mechanical issues with the plane) and not gaining credit for that mission toward the number of missions required to complete their tour and rotate home.

From my understanding In 1943 a heavy bomber crews were rotated home after completing 25 mission, however in early 1944 this number rose to 30 and by the summer of 1944 the required number of missions became 35 so regardless it doesn't look like being in late 1944 his friend was on his last mission when shot down like I originally thought. Below is the text of this letter and the attached photos show the document telling of the mission the gentleman was shot down on.

1LT Robert M. Cohen

5623 Lester Rd

Cincinnati 13 Ohio

Post Marked Cincinnati, Ohio SEP 21 1PM 1945

To:

Cpl. Lawrence Mellett 35128128

Btry “A” 225 FA BN

APO 235 % Postmaster

San Francisco, California

MARKED:

Discharged

1811 Maple Ave

Norwood Ohio

10/4/45

LETTER PAGE 1:

Larry Mellett

United States Army Air Forces (Stationary)

20 - Sept - 45

Thursday-

Hello Larry-

This is my first letter to you in over two years I guess- but I just didn't have your address.

I am home now on a leave- and I am to report to San Antonio next week. (I hope to be discharged.)-

I dropped in to see your mother yesterday day and she still looks fine.- Norma was home too, and your kid sister isn't a bad looking girl.

Now for a few short notes that may interest you.-

My pop still works for the railroad.-

My mother still bakes cakes and plays cards.- Jake is a S/Sgt in the Air Corps ground crew and is now on Brac (sp) (Bee-acle) Ireland.

LETTER PAGE 2:

His wife (Ruth Thomas) has a baby boy about 2 years ago.- Doty is working and her husband is somewhere in the So. Pacific.- She also has a boy 2 years old.-

I finally married Jane Buckley (the girl from school)- but we have no children.--

Billy is married and he is a Buck Private in Germany.-

Betty is not married but she is working

I was flying out of England (Navigator B-24) with the 8th Air Force.- Shot down on my 25th mission and spent 4 1/2 months in a prison camp.-

thats all for now Larry- but not that you have my address drop me a line.

your friend

Bob

1LT Robert M. Cohen

5623 Lester Rd

Cincinnati 13 Ohio

post-159692-0-91580800-1483927362.jpg

post-159692-0-80786600-1483927368.jpg

post-159692-0-94224600-1483927375.jpg

post-159692-0-93949200-1483927382.jpg

Thanks all,

Yeah I really like the group defiantly has some more research potential on the soldiers service when I get the time I hope to find a picture of him since I know sometimes those can be included in service records though will probably not get that lucky.. I am interested in what the small Japanese banner says though it is probably something boring like a welcome the soldier took from a store window because it had Japanese writing on it.

• 4 years later...

Thanks for sharing! Lawrence Mellett's my great uncle and I'm proud to learn more about his military history. Growing up none of us kids knew about his military background until after he passed away. I was in the 2nd 503rd AIB 173rd Abn. when he passed, so I missed out on asking him. Thanks again for sharing this....

Austin Nagel