AVG Bracelet or what?

rustywings

At first glance, it looks like it might be an inexpensive stamped AVG Flying Tigers brass ID or sweetheart bracelet... but the back is stamped with only the numbers "46200." The centerpiece is 1.75 inches in width... and the overall length of the chain is 7 inches. Could it be an AVG property tag? Or a WWII era child's cereal or comic-book premium? It certainly looks and feels like it's 75+ years old... But I'm not sure what I have here? Why is there a square hole near the paw of the tiger? Any input or ideas you may have, either positive or negative, are welcome.

IMG_01311.JPG

IMG_01321.JPG

IMG_01301.JPG

doinworkinvans

Hmmm....never seen anything like this at all. It at least looks vintage, and looks the part. The chain looks odd though, seems as though a piece like that would have a nicer chain.

​Real or not I like it.But I agree with above that it looks vintage.I hope it turns out to be legit.Not sure what the number would be.Too short for a service number.

There is a listing for a Wendell J. Kelley (O-46200), born 1920, in the Army Officer Registers. He was in the A/C. There is a lot of history for him on Find-A-Grave but no mention of time with the AVG or in the CBI with another unit.

There is a listing for a Wendell J. Kelley (O-46200), born 1920, in the Army Officer Registers. He was in the A/C. There is a lot of history for him on Find-A-Grave but no mention of time with the AVG or in the CBI with another unit.

​Well thats pretty cool. I didn't think it had enough numbers.Great detective work.

Thank you all for your opinions and input. And an extra tip-of-the-cap to Siege1863 for his research efforts and ability to stir my thinking juices a bit! I look forward to taking a closer look at Wendell J. Kelley.

I can't help but think that square hole near the tiger's paw is a clue as well? Could it be a small wrench-type tool to adjust an instrument or airplane magneto? I just don't know?

Why are we assuming the 46200 is an individuals serial number? Couldn't it be the item serial number, the manufacturers ID code, a lot number or a number of other things. The Chinese liked to number things. Even patches.

OSS 5 x.jpg