My first knife from 2017 is UTICA MK2

Gilles

Another great knife. I know I keep saying that Gilles. :)

According to Frank Trzaska Utica only made this version of the knife for about one year+. Starting somewhere around late 1960 to early 1961. By 1962 the knives started showing up with the new specifications adding the fungicide to the leather for the knife and sheath, only using 7 rivets on the sheath pocket instead of 9, as well as other updates.

post-17422-0-34154200-1483735159_thumb.jpg

Someday maybe I'll find a nice one like those you guys have. I would call them "Rare". They do seem to show up more frequently than a M-5 Utica. I was able to procure one of those in unissued condition.

They do seem to show up more frequently than a M-5 Utica. I was able to procure one of those in unissued condition.

Okay, what kind of grips are on the M-5 Utica? (my uncontrollable collector's quirk)post-26996-0-01465600-1483765037_thumb.jpg

I guess that technically this might be my first acquisition for the new year. I really don't know much about it as it's not the type of thing that I usually pursue but the seller made me a pretty good deal so I figured why not? (It looked like it had a little personality!)

I know next to nothing about it but it appears to have aged well and the blade doesn't look like it's seen a grinder, which considering what I've seen lately is a pretty big plus! Unfortunately there was no sheath but I can live with that.

So please feel free to educate me on what I bought. LoL

post-7069-0-93503000-1483826601_thumb.jpg

post-7069-0-01867700-1483826695.jpg

post-7069-0-85836200-1483826740_thumb.jpg

post-7069-0-53565500-1483826824.jpg

Well I tried to edit out the duplicate pic and it won't let me. I've tried to add another pic and it won't re-size correctly so I can't post it either.

The manufacturer is "Heenwell Mfg.Co. Olean.N.Y.

Well I tried to edit out the duplicate pic and it won't let me. I've tried to add another pic and it won't re-size correctly so I can't post it either.

The manufacturer is "Heenwell Mfg.Co. Olean.N.Y.

I think you will find that the mark is Keenwell, not Heenwell. Keenwell was a trade mark used by Union Cutlery (KaBar).

I think you will find that the mark is Keenwell, not Heenwell. Keenwell was a trade mark used by Union Cutlery (KaBar).

You're correct Sir, it's a typo. Chalk it up to my frustration in trying to post the pic of the markings.