Two 1960s Photos of Frog Skin Camo Worn Outside Southeast Asia

patches

First up, An SF trooper in the Dominican Republic in May 1965, looks like he's wearing WWII GI Camo, the pants at any rate, Bet he's a Spanish speaking Green Beret as he is clearly engaging some kind of friendly armed militiaman in a conversation.

post-34986-0-39447200-1483593898_thumb.jpg

Of extra note, he's wearing the steel pot and he's opted for wear the old obsolete M45 web suspenders instead of the then current M56 types.

And this gem, a foto from a 1967 Ft Bragg Basic Training yearbook. A Green Beret of the Bragg based 7th Group lends a hand for a day as demonstrator on the BCT's Infiltration course. Camos with steel helmet, M14, but curiously, no web gear, that belt we see I believe is his GI waist belt.

post-34986-0-77530300-1483595064_thumb.jpg

A 'standardly dressed training brigade cadre Noncom, stands smiling for the camera in the background on the platform as his counterpart slithers along under the wire :D.

Top pic looks like the one piece coveralls. They have really deep leg pockets that sit higher than the 2 piece suit. Botton pic looks like Hunting cammo. Note Zippered leg pocket. Pattern is slightly smaller than the WW2 issue. owen

Top pic looks like the one piece coveralls. They have really deep leg pockets that sit higher than the 2 piece suit. Botton pic looks like Hunting cammo. Note Zippered leg pocket. Pattern is slightly smaller than the WW2 issue. owen

I think you're right, I think I can see one of the two snap buttons of his right chest pocket on the top photo.

slightly better pic, better view of the uniform and gear.

That weapon is not an M-16. Looks like it could either be an AR-10 (7.62mm) or a very early pattern AR-15. The charging lever inside the carrying handle and the "waffle" magazine are usually seen on the AR-10 but the front sight and flash suppressor look more like early AR-15 to me.

AR-10 with "waffle" magazine and early AR-15 compared:

post-154311-0-76577800-1483641766.jpg

post-154311-0-02655700-1483641793.jpg

Hey thanks for that update 63 Recon, Image and site on this Dom Rep guy. Found this awhile ago, and it had minimal info, only Special Forces, which was taken to be the 7th Group from Bragg. The clearer image is an eye opener, you can really see the details much better, rifle, uniform etc.

That top foto of the Green Beret in the Dom Rep will also be from the 7th Group by the way.

7th Special Forces Task Force, Dom Rep 1965-66 wore jungle fatigues and berets.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

It's an AR-10, count the groves in the waffle mag, besides, only the first 17 AR-15 prototypes had the trigger charging handle so that makes it pretty unlikely.

• 1 year later...

Just found this photo in a 1966 World Book, this book among other years from the 60s was saved in a house cleanout. Here we see this camo wearing AR 10 toting guy as a face in a crowd on the left side of the photograph.

post-34986-0-95679100-1525401953_thumb.jpg

Very interesting photo's showing some odd weapons as well.

First thought the rebel in question was "Cpl. Klinger" from MASH.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I am sure there has been another thread about the man in the main picture. He is French or possibly even German - but a well known mercenary.