THE most rare US medals, ever...

Bluehawk

Reading a thread about a beautiful US Navy DSC last night, made me want to ask:

Which US medals from all our history are considered THE most rare, hard if not practically impossible sometimes, to come by or even to see?

There may have been a previous thread of this nature in our ten years of USMF, but if not, just thought I would ask - maybe even see some images of the rarest of the rare?

Yeah. An Issued MOH would be close!

-Ski

Found these two medals... Does any private collector actually have either of these?

post-3976-0-95717100-1483459567.jpg

post-3976-0-15050100-1483459606.jpeg

Found these two medals... Does any private collector actually have either of these?

attachicon.gifresized_MeritBadge.jpg

attachicon.gifresized_Unknown.jpeg

Going off memory, I believe one of the three original Purple Hearts is in the hands of a collector. One is up at the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor in NY.

There are plenty of Medals of Honor in private hands.

Going off memory, I believe one of the three original Purple Hearts is in the hands of a collector.

Not to go off topic, but I wonder how the proposed law will affect that one? (if he wanted to sell it and buy a new house)

-NC-4 full size and miniature

-USMC Brevet medal

-Specially Meritorious Service U.S. Navy Campaign West Indies Medal - Named

-Navy Bailey Medal?

Original Specially Meritorious Service Medal (unnamed) & original West Indies Campaign Medal named to SMSM holder CGM David Hepburn from the USS (TB2) Ericsson.

post-15093-0-05709600-1483496383_thumb.jpg

USMC Brevet for sure...if memory serves, the only ones that reside in collections are replacement types...all 29 awarded are accounted for in museums and families

• 1 month later...

If it is authentic, it would certainly fall into this category. There are some pretty convincing fakes of this unofficial medal.

I believe that the original medals were made from a die that broke after less then 100 original medals were struck.

would the Faciat Georgius fall into that category?

I just have a general question. How rare is the Civil War campaign medal? What would be a fair price to pay for one?

Jacob

Jacob: There are many variables to consider regarding these medals....among them are traceability - generally via numbers stamped on the edge & associated issue lists - and thereby to whom they were issued, ribbon type, and which campaigns a recipient may have participated in. I think a nice example of an Army Civil War campaign with numbering from the US Mint (these have "MNo." prefixes) could be acquired for around $125; they very frequently show up on eBay. They are predominantly untraceable because the issue records have not been located but they are official issues. If you are looking for a very good representative Army piece they would definately be the way to go. The price for the ones originally issued to in-service & retired Army - they have "No." prefixed numbers - are considerably more. I cant accurately say how much more those would fetch these days but a WAG is $2500; don't quote me though. Additionally, if the ribbon from which the medal hangs is the first type - flag colors v. blue/grey - it would be worth more since it would be in its "as issued" state. Needless to say if the recipient was, for example, a Medal of Honor winner at Gettysburg, the ante would go up. And lets not forget Desire: it can make us do things we wouldn't normally do (its why there are a flood of wedding chapels in Las Vegas). As far as the sea services: these were always plain numbers but the rules above apply. I've attached an eBay sale for a Navy Civil War campaign. It apparently wasn't traceable since the listing didn't state that. And again: prices are subject to conditions at the time. Now as far as an original Marine Corps Civil War campaign? Not "Priceless" but upwards of $9000 i would suspect.

Disclaimer: this talk of prices on medals always irks me; as a young collector i totally resented my hobby being monetarized (sp?) in the early auctions. I would like them to be a lot lower, even free, but long ago i had to face the fact that in the universe which we reside there exists such things as marketplaces which we must accept. I guess the old saying "Such is Life" is appropriate. End of rant.

Hope this helps somewhat.

To relate this post to the original question: i'd say that the rarest obtainable medal would be a Brevet Medal. But it'd have to be documented (as in the Brevet group Roger Sullivan had back in the day).

post-152102-0-98446000-1488564396_thumb.jpg

Jacob: There are many variables to consider regarding these medals....among them are traceability - generally via numbers stamped on the edge & associated issue lists - and thereby to whom they were issued, ribbon type, and which campaigns a recipient may have participated in. I think a nice example of an Army Civil War campaign with numbering from the US Mint (these have "MNo." prefixes) could be acquired for around $125; they very frequently show up on eBay. They are predominantly untraceable because the issue records have not been located but they are official issues. If you are looking for a very good representative Army piece they would definately be the way to go. The price for the ones originally issued to in-service & retired Army - they have "No." prefixed numbers - are considerably more. I cant accurately say how much more those would fetch these days but a WAG is $2500; don't quote me though. Additionally, if the ribbon from which the medal hangs is the first type - flag colors v. blue/grey - it would be worth more since it would be in its "as issued" state. Needless to say if the recipient was, for example, a Medal of Honor winner at Gettysburg, the ante would go up. And lets not forget Desire: it can make us do things we wouldn't normally do (its why there are a flood of wedding chapels in Las Vegas). As far as the sea services: these were always plain numbers but the rules above apply. I've attached an eBay sale for a Navy Civil War campaign. It apparently wasn't traceable since the listing didn't state that. And again: prices are subject to conditions at the time. Now as far as an original Marine Corps Civil War campaign? Not "Priceless" but upwards of $9000 i would suspect.

Disclaimer: this talk of prices on medals always irks me; as a young collector i totally resented my hobby being monetarized (sp?) in the early auctions. I would like them to be a lot lower, even free, but long ago i had to face the fact that in the universe which we reside there exists such things as marketplaces which we must accept. I guess the old saying "Such is Life" is appropriate. End of rant.

Hope this helps somewhat.

To relate this post to the original question: i'd say that the rarest obtainable medal would be a Brevet Medal. But it'd have to be documented (as in the Brevet group Roger Sullivan had back in the day).

Thank you so much for the information!

Jacob