Modified knives, what's your opinion?

John762

Gentlemen, Id like your opinions on some modifications to knives and bayonets.

Ive seen a number of these and I own a couple myself, I find them interesting but if I had the chance to pick up and identical specimen without the mods I would take it instead. I have no interest in modifications to the steel/ blades themselves as in my opinion that removes any historic value unless it can be proven that theyre in Theater mods.

One of the pics below I pulled off of the auction site and the others are mine. Im not sure that the twine wrap is called but it reminds me of the Monkey Fist knot. Ive seen it a few times so I assume it was a popular mod by bored grunts. LoL

What is your opinion on modified knives, do you have them and do you shy away from them?

post-7069-0-27717600-1483372683_thumb.jpg

post-7069-0-61464400-1483372712.jpg

post-7069-0-17446200-1483372756.jpg

IMHO, if you want a mint example, a modified knife will be worth less depending on the modification. If the mod can be attributed to a specific soldier or marine, with documentation of when and where it was used, then it might be worth more.

Some mods are simply cool to have. Especially like the rope wrap you show. However, most of the time, I agree that the mint version most often commands a higher price.

Marv

Knots and initials is to me a reflection of the owner's personality. It's just another point of interest dealing with a particular knife. Not sure if the knots are repairs or just a reflection of too much time on a troops hands. Any way, I have no issues with personalized items. SKIP

IMHO, there is a collectors market for everything. Some like the minty stuff while others like the carried stuff and even modified and painted stuff.

What does collect the highest value? I believe that question has been answered on USMF many times before. With that said, a mint one is always a mint one.

Just my thought.

Best

Martin

Hi that knot is part of the history of the knife, sailors often put them on knives to personalize them as well as improve the grip, tyhe knot is the turks head. The initials are probably his as well

I agree with those who like modifications - anything that personalizes an item, without messing up a blade or something. I have a knife or 2 with names etched on the blade or initials on a grip and they are much enjoyed. I really like the knot on the M2 - real Navy.

Just FYI, The knotted M2 is on the auction site and ends in about 15 minutes....

(It's not mine. LoL) 122285133501

I like the modified/personalized ones. It shows the knife was used, owned and cared for by someone - kinda like those etched canteens. I collect USMC M2 knives (KaBars, PAL, Camillus, etc.). I try to get a good unmodified example of each type of knife, but then I have numerous examples of modified ones. The early KaBars seemed to have had trouble with the pommels coming off or breaking, so you see lots of those with makeshift pommels, and modified handles. I really like the ones with the clear plastic handles (Lucite) as I've heard this material often came from downed aircraft windows. I sometimes find myself getting bored at gun museums looking at pristine examples of firearms, but looking at personalized ones, with names , stories, etc., is really interesting. My $0.02....

Hey John, Here is my theater modified Mk2 Robeson. I agree that it does enhance the interest factor of the knife and that may effect the price. However, its my opinion a pristine example will command a higher price.

post-6195-0-39386200-1483406637_thumb.jpg

post-6195-0-12440600-1483406662.jpg

Here is my favorite modified USN Mark 2. I like them but I don't pay any more for them than for an unmodified knife of the same type. This sailor was an aircraft mechanic that reported to Pearl Harbor in January 1942. I don't have any more info on him.

post-11546-0-79971900-1483407637_thumb.jpg

Hey John, Here is my theater modified Mk2 Robeson. I agree that it does enhance the interest factor of the knife and that may effect the price. However, its my opinion a pristine example will command a higher price.

That grip is crazy but very cool, you have some super interesting stuff!!!

Here is my favorite modified USN Mark 2. I like them but I don't pay any more for them than for an unmodified knife of the same type. This sailor was an aircraft mechanic that reported to Pearl Harbor in January 1942. I don't have any more info on him.

I don't collect KaBar's but there's no way I would walk away from that!

I have a scabbard that has a vets name written on it but your's is so far beyond that it isn't even funny.

In my way of thinking that grip is an incredible piece of history and should be preserved. Some of the other mod'd grips are interesting but the hand made and engraved grip takes it to the next level.

Thanks for sharing!

Patchcollector

Here is a pic of my E.G. Waterman knife that I posted here on the Forum earlier.It has been modified,or "embellished",and sports a knot similar to the OP knife.I'm guessing this was added to keep the hand from slipping.I would like to think mine was modified by a Soldier but I can't be certain as I have no provenance to that effect.It could have been done by a hunter,or other civilian.

post-13386-0-41873300-1483573096_thumb.jpg

My contribution to the general thread. I don't consider all of these to be modified unless some parts have actually been changed. The addition of a knot or the like is a personalization, and was sometimes done so they could identify their own knife.

This one was carried by a soldier who went ashore late on D-Day. He drove a tank recovery vehicle pulling tanks off the beach.

post-66-0-92843200-1483576502_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for sharing, I love seeing the various blades that you've located.

All of a sudden I'm felling a bit, ummm.... inadequate. LoL

I primarily collect modified "theatre" knives, love the uniqueness of each piece. I have come across some crazy examples and some with incredible quality. Here is a 225Q, not sure who made the sheath. Saw it at an antique store in a case, couldn't figure who made it while in the case, neither the handle style or sheath made sense to me.

post-164571-0-83297100-1483748477.jpg

post-164571-0-71813300-1483748478.jpg

Schmooser I am also fond of the "theaters". Here is my red tang wrapped PAL RH36. Seems like red was a popular color. Many of the theater knives that I`ve seen incorporate the red along with black.

post-6195-0-33596300-1483760357_thumb.jpg

post-6195-0-92783900-1483760375.jpg

Schmooser I am also fond of the "theaters". Here is my red tang wrapped PAL RH36. Seems like red was a popular color. Many of the theater knives that I`ve seen incorporate the red along with black.

Super nice example!