Camillus question, I think I know what this is but?

John762

I found this, yes I literally found this in a box of old paperwork!

I've done a bit of research and I think it's a post 1960 production and I'm GUESSING that the scabbard isn't original to it??? It seems to be a bit to short.

The markings are US over Camillus N.Y. and not another mark on it anywhere.

Please school me, I've never really thought about collecting these but this one is kinda growing on me. LoL

post-7069-0-93192300-1483057612.jpg

post-7069-0-94767300-1483057647.jpg

post-7069-0-16197400-1483057745.jpg

The knife is a Knife, Combat (MIL-K-20277) National Stock Number 1095-00-392-4102 as made by Camillus between 1962 and 1973 (1974 production and later dropped the N.Y. from the marking).

Sheath as mentioned is not correct, appears to be for one of the shorter blade knives and I am not familiar enough with them to suggest which one.

The interesting part is the scabbard has some writing on the reverse, a name that when I search it leads to a WWII vet. (At least the name matches) Give me a few minutes and I'll pull it out and look it up and post it here.

The interesting part is the scabbard has some writing on the reverse, a name that when I search it leads to a WWII vet. (At least the name matches) Give me a few minutes and I'll pull it out and look it up and post it here.

Very faintly there's a name written on the reverse, it appears to be Vernon Trinkle with some numbers ##8917 (# = illegible). I found an obit for the above name for someone who served in the Army Air Force from 39-43???

I would think it's safe to "assume" that the scabbard might be Vernon's from his time of service but obviously the knife is later.

• 2 weeks later...

scabbard is for the Cattaraugus 225Q or Case 337-6"-Q . those are left handed versions where most of the other knives have right handed scabbards.