How rare are hen’s teeth, or has anyone acquired a M1905 RIA 1913 bayonet?

John762

I dont know why this should surprise me but one of the bayonets that got me interested in this obsession appears to be one of the rarest, to me this is nothing new. LoL

Reportedly records show from 1500 to 18,000 M1905 bayonets produced by RIA during the year 1913, obviously there are a wide variety of opinions on how many were manufactured.

Has anyone here seen or acquired one and what are the odds of my hunting one down? The only real reason Id like to find one is to mate it with the appropriate RIA rifle.

Whats the consensus is it a lost cause and are the odds of finding one like hitting the lottery?

What say ye?

I haven't specifically searched for an RIA 1913, but I can say that it is probably not too easy to find one. If you are interested, google "bayonet points" and scroll down and click number 42. There is a beautiful picture of the one you are looking for. I'm sure you know that, for your rifle, a 1913 dated bayonet is not necessary to be correct; yeah I know, it would be way cool to have the same date bayonet as your rifle. I would search ebay every day until I find one. It's the best way to weed through a lot of inventory. Good hunting.

Marv

I haven't specifically searched for an RIA 1913, but I can say that it is probably not too easy to find one. If you are interested, google "bayonet points" and scroll down and click number 42. There is a beautiful picture of the one you are looking for. I'm sure you know that, for your rifle, a 1913 dated bayonet is not necessary to be correct; yeah I know, it would be way cool to have the same date bayonet as your rifle. I would search ebay every day until I find one. It's the best way to weed through a lot of inventory. Good hunting.

Marv

Marv,

thanks for your input,I understand that the year of manufacture of the rifle doesn't have to coincide with the bayonet but like you stated, there's the cool factor. LoL

I search for the 1913's on a pretty regular basis but so far to no avail. I'm really curious if anyone here owns one or might know of one hiding someplace. The range of knowledge here is deep & widespread and I'm hoping that the ability to find rare items goes hand in hand with that!

Based on the known serial numbers on 1913 dated RIA Model 1905 bayonets, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 to 12,000 dated 1913 bayonets were delivered in the range of about 236000 to 247000.

Funny you mention this, I just recently picked up a very clean 1913 dated RIA rifle myself, complete with 1913 dated sling. Is your s an NRA stamped one as well? Kevin

Funny you mention this, I just recently picked up a very clean 1913 dated RIA rifle myself, complete with 1913 dated sling. Is your s an NRA stamped one as well? Kevin

Nice find Kevin, it is indeed!

It's a beautiful example and I rescued it right before the original owners grandson hacked it up to make a "deer rifle".