HGU-2 for identification

phil31

Hi Guys,

I recently bought this 434 TFTS helmet on ebay. It has a beautifully decorated visor cover with squadron emblem and a T-38. Its condition was a bit rough so I fully stripped the helmet for cleaning and found some information under the visor cover. There is a tag (difficult to read) which is similar to what I've seen on some helmets done by Protection Inc.

Holloman AFB

Capt. Jacob's (my best guess)

Single

HGU-2

Bright Red

Silver Flakes

In addition, MINNIEA was found hand written under the visor cover and also found written on the form fit liner.

This normally correspond to the wearer name but does not match with the name written on the tag. Is MINNIEA a common family name in the US ? Any idea ?

Thanks,

Phil

post-161568-0-68681600-1482874075_thumb.jpg

post-161568-0-56861300-1482874091_thumb.jpg

post-161568-0-89225200-1482874101_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...
On 12/27/2016 at 4:29 PM, phil31 said:

Hi Guys,

I recently bought this 434 TFTS helmet on ebay. It has a beautifully decorated visor cover with squadron emblem and a T-38. Its condition was a bit rough so I fully stripped the helmet for cleaning and found some information under the visor cover. There is a tag (difficult to read) which is similar to what I've seen on some helmets done by Protection Inc.

Holloman AFB

Capt. Jacob's (my best guess)

Single

HGU-2

Bright Red

Silver Flakes

In addition, MINNIEA was found hand written under the visor cover and also found written on the form fit liner.

This normally correspond to the wearer name but does not match with the name written on the tag. Is MINNIEA a common family name in the US ? Any idea ?

Thanks,

Phil

post-161568-0-68681600-1482874075_thumb.jpg

post-161568-0-56861300-1482874091_thumb.jpg

post-161568-0-89225200-1482874101_thumb.jpg

Nice helmet 

Probably PI with both the finish and leather edge roll, liner and on an HGU-2 variant would

certainly indicate a pilots personal choice.

Should have leather & foam ear "cup" assemblies as well.

I concur, the smooth visor housing gullwing cut and the glossy flakes finish on it with decals and varnish coating leave little doubt. The presence of the worn moleskin tabs on the lock knob and top housing make it a used helmet.
Typical of custom made HGU-2A/P (then 26/P) of the mid 70's (given the offset bayonet receivers set for J-bayos) and up to early 80's 🙂. Very nice example !

I know it's a digged thread, but if the OP is still there, you can investigate a little more in this approximate helmet timeline with the following material.
I've found five Capt. Jacob in the online 1969 USAF register (4 permanent and 1 temporary grade / use the search engine included), and let's not put away the 1st Lt. that could have been promoted later.

You can also check the 1979 register to see how their carreer evolved (in this one, you could consider both Captains and Majors).