For Today's Study & Discussion -M1 Bayonet

SKIPH

Hey Gang! Found this Dated M1 bayonet on ebay. Item # 252691854903 w/ Buy Now price of $129.99. Do not know the seller. This is a good one for our new collector friends to analyze. Refer to Gary's book if necessary. I find some real interesting points we should look at. I had to check it out because I don't have a dated M1 bayonet. As usual if someone could post the ad it would be appreciated. Have fun! SKIP

Skip,

Yes interesting, didn't think there was ever a '42 dated 10" bayonet. The markings look hand applied, also looks to be some sort of re-weld. Notice the weld pitting.

Can't wait for the experts to comment.

Interesting...

The markings are not correct, the grips look to me like they've been sanded down to look worn. The scabbard itself looks wrong also, I don't recall if the scabbard bomb should have 3 or 4 flames but it looks like it's older metal with an aftermarket fiberglass addition.

Am I even close?

Edit: It almost looks like that's a Dutch crown that's ground down above the 1942.

Skip,

Yes interesting, didn't think there was ever a '42 dated 10" bayonet. The markings look hand applied, also looks to be some sort of re-weld. Notice the weld pitting.

Can't wait for the experts to comment.

I didn't think it was rewelded, I figured the pitting was the result of chemical aging, trying to make a new reproduction look old. But I might be wrong....

I'm with everyone so far. To my knowledge M1 bayonets were not produced until 1943, stamps, "AFH", and "1942" are faked, no "US" or Ordinance stamp the way a real AFH would be placed, and w/o a doubt "aged". I've paid no attention to the scabbard yet. Not sure about the weld. Let's see what others come up with. SKIP

Looks like one of the CMP M1 bayonets; look at Post #6 last picture. The guard looks like it was filed or ground to remove the number that used to be there.

The "1942" and the "AFH" are from the same die stamp set, not a style used by any of the U.S. bayonet manufacturers that I have seen to date.

Chuck

Looks like everyone nailed it! I believe it is a Chinese knockoff too. Aged to look like an older original, probably left out in the weather a few months. Scabbard, throat looks weathered, could be original, body probably repro. Just wanted to bring out the existence of fakes to the newer collectors, and keep us older ones sharp. As stated earlier, I do not know the seller, and am not implying he is selling fakes, more than likely he isn't aware. Good job gang! I believe these exchanges help in our collecting, and save us a lot of wasted money on bad purchases. But, even then we can still get fooled. Merry Christmas! SKIP

Looks like everyone nailed it! I believe it is a Chinese knockoff too. Aged to look like an older original, probably left out in the weather a few months. Scabbard, throat looks weathered, could be original, body probably repro. Just wanted to bring out the existence of fakes to the newer collectors, and keep us older ones sharp. As stated earlier, I do not know the seller, and am not implying he is selling fakes, more than likely he isn't aware. Good job gang! I believe these exchanges help in our collecting, and save us a lot of wasted money on bad purchases. But, even then we can still get fooled. Merry Christmas! SKIP

As a "collector" who would acquire various knives and bayos just because he liked them who is transitioning to a more serious collector I love posts like these. They help me more than some of you "old" guys realize, I spend a LOT of time perusing the bay and looking at pics trying to learn more AND pick out what might be wrong. I have in the past sent a note to a seller who listed something less that honest and they all were thankful for the information as they were honest mistakes, this seller of this item is well....

I'll let you decide as here is his response to my polite note letting him know his item has issues.

Well once again this site is the most frustrating website I have EVER freaking encountered, it won't let me cut and paste his response....

As a "collector" who would acquire various knives and bayos just because he liked them who is transitioning to a more serious collector I love posts like these. They help me more than some of you "old" guys realize, I spend a LOT of time perusing the bay and looking at pics trying to learn more AND pick out what might be wrong. I have in the past sent a note to a seller who listed something less that honest and they all were thankful for the information as they were honest mistakes, this seller of this item is well....

I'll let you decide as here is his response to my polite note letting him know his item has issues.

Well once again this site is the most frustrating website I have EVER freaking encountered, it won't let me cut and paste his response....

New message from: ltrtettt Top Rated Seller(1,786Red Star)

Thanks for your input, but I stand behind what I sell

This is not a reproduction, it's has natural aging with what appears to be an improperly stamped company marks

It appears that the only thing that's not original is the screw that hold the handles on. I thank you for your concerns and I realize that your only looking out for my best interests.

Ray

Hang in there John! The seller is entitled to his opinion, and that's fine. He seemed very civil about it. John, thanks for posting his response. we're not here to slam sellers, just to learn about our hobby. SKIP

Hang in there John! The seller is entitled to his opinion, and that's fine. He seemed very civil about it. John, thanks for posting his response. we're not here to slam sellers, just to learn about our hobby. SKIP

Skip, I agree with your thoughts. I hope I didn't come across as trying to belittle the seller I just wanted to post his response for the rest of the viewers.

I did send him one additional note with some of the AFH & scabbard markings pictured here, I'm really hoping it's just an honest error.

I learned a long time ago that sellers do not appreciate it when you tell them their item is a fake. Some know it is, some don't. In most cases, they don't care. I've stopped trying to educate or correct them as it is generally a waste of my time and a source of frustration. I do feel sorry for those who get screwed by these liars, cheats and thieves.