Opinions on a model 1839 buckle that...

Brian from Columbus

Brian from Columbus

has a blank face. It has a lead filled back with puppy paw hooks.

I know that it is old, but is it Confederate?

The only picture I have of it is not worth posting.

Thanks,
Brian

I've never seen a Confederate buckle with the puppy paw style books.That said, I've never seen a blank 1839 style buckle either! Pictures would be very helpful.

Brian from Columbus

It is oval. I apologize for the distorted image. I don't know the dimensions, but it is within a few mm of the US plate that was laying right next to it.

It looks rather like an 1808 pattern shoulder belt plate. The studs look like early washer on post construction and it seems fairly flat, though those plates tend to be cast brass rather than being rolled or stamped brass and lead filled, though there are some exceptions. I gather you don't have it in hand, so is it certain that is lead filled?

Brian from Columbus

Sorry, I don't have it. The provenance on it is that it was recovered from a western theater 1864 battle site.

I have a Federal belt plate that also has the studs showing through "paws". I feel like that is due to lead loss on the "paws".

That's an unusual one for sure. Possibly a militia piece as they often used plain brass buckles, though usually made of sheet brass rather than stamped and lead- filled.