ABN./SF. US Army Greens and Woodland Uniforms Named to a Vietnam Combat Vet

McDermut99

This uniform set came into the collection via eBay a while back. I usually don't buy uniforms of this era, but for the price I couldn't let them go. I was also lured by the research potential and the restoration project, which looked to be promising judging by the insignia and SSI's. The uniforms are named to a LTC. Ol-lie Ra-y Gui-nn, his ASN is on the greens as well. Using that and the insignia from the uniforms I found that the officer who originally owned these uniforms was a combat veteran of Vietnam, and is still living. While researching his service I found an article from April of 1968 about this officer (then a Major) recieving the Bronze Star for heroism in combat as an adviser in Vietnam. He had already recieved a CIB and an Army Commendation medal by that time.

Apart from that I am still researching him and trying to find a means of contacting him (he is involved in various veteran/patriotic events and associations, otherwise I would be very hesitant). I have already begun to restore the insignia on his greens. The period LTC. oak leaves I had laying around, and the CIB was courtesy of a Forum member (thanks again Bill!). There is quite a bit about his service left for me to find, as well as insignia to put on, but that's what makes it interesting.

If anyone knows of other good research sources or finds any information please chime in, I'm running out of places to look (I've already found his name in the army registers).

Additionally, a couple sets of his Vietnam era OG-107's were sold on Epay a while back. I was not able to get them unfortunately but if anyone here happened to win them, I'd very much like to get in contact.

post-153059-0-39081500-1482196376_thumb.jpg

post-153059-0-59845800-1482196383_thumb.jpg

Neat set. Regarding the subdued tab for the 101st patch, there has only ever been ONE authorized color combo for subdued airborne tabs. So regardless of which color tab is worn with the full color version of the patch, the only authorized subdued version is the black letters on green.

Neat set. Regarding the subdued tab for the 101st patch, there has only ever been ONE authorized color combo for subdued airborne tabs. So regardless of which color tab is worn with the full color version of the patch, the only authorized subdued version is the black letters on green.

Thanks for the info vzemke!

In 1975 he was on the faculty of the Command & General Staff College Ft Leavenworth Kansas. As staff at C&GS are usually grads of the college themselves, he would of attended this institution. However, he does not appear in the yearbooks I have for 1968, 1969-70, 1971 or 1972. perhaps then a 1973 grad?

Below is a paysite :(

The Leavenworth Times from Leavenworth, Kansas · Page 24
Aug 10, 1975 - Public Affairs Office The Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) Data ... Ollie R. Guinn, Department of Tactics, CGSC, is president.

Here's another article (which I can't view LOL)

Here I'm getting reference to the C&GS College for 1973.

The Times from San Mateo, California on September 7, 1973 &middot ...

Sep 7, 1973 - 2 - San Mateo ZC ClHttG Friday, September 7, 1973 Nine - Judge Session to ... cuances to exec.r.vc frcm hunting and fishing on Bethel mercial and general .... iropm in on Anmy Major Ollie Ft. Guinn. son of Mr. and Mrs. Ollie L. Guinn, ... 73 regular class at the U.S. Armv Command and General Staff College.

I'll admit, pretty funny. :D

I'm just posting the articles for ease of future reference.

Believe it or not I was looking to get the 1973 "The BELL" not to long ago, but did not see one offered on the E.

(The Bell by the way is the title of the C&GS College's yearbook)

The SF tab was authorized (I believe) in 1983 so that gives you a kind of "no earlier than" date for the uniforms. What's interesting is that he was still branched infantry. SF became it's own branch in (I believe) 1985 but the uniforms could still be post 1985 because he may have chosen to remain an infantry officer rather than branching SF when the SF branch was created.

The BDU top appears to be a fairly early pattern - note the bellows on the inside of the pockets. On later versions of the BDU these were moved to the outside for a cleaner appearance. Another giveaway that it is an early BDU is how close the top and bottom pockets are to each other. Since the top button is buttoned it's hard to tell if it is the very early "Elvis collar" BDU but it looks like it might be. If so, it doesn't look like he wore it much - those early BDUs faded badly in sunlight.

Seems like a good find!

The SF tab was authorized (I believe) in 1983 so that gives you a kind of "no earlier than" date for the uniforms. What's interesting is that he was still branched infantry. SF became it's own branch in (I believe) 1985 but the uniforms could still be post 1985 because he may have chosen to remain an infantry officer rather than branching SF when the SF branch was established.

The long tab was authorized in June of 1983. The SF branch for officers wasn't established until April of 1987. Odds are he was out of SF by that time.

If the vet is still alive, is there any chance we can edit out the personal info on the tag?

Very cool uniforms, and it's always good to see some of the "later" stuff getting saved. Any 1980s BDU from a Vietnam combat vet is worth saving!

The SF tab was authorized (I believe) in 1983 so that gives you a kind of "no earlier than" date for the uniforms. What's interesting is that he was still branched infantry. SF became it's own branch in (I believe) 1985 but the uniforms could still be post 1985 because he may have chosen to remain an infantry officer rather than branching SF when the SF branch was created.

The BDU top appears to be a fairly early pattern - note the bellows on the inside of the pockets. On later versions of the BDU these were moved to the outside for a cleaner appearance. Another giveaway that it is an early BDU is how close the top and bottom pockets are to each other. Since the top button is buttoned it's hard to tell if it is the very early "Elvis collar" BDU but it looks like it might be. If so, it doesn't look like he wore it much - those early BDUs faded badly in sunlight.

Seems like a good find!

Here's the woodland without the top one buttoned:

According to the tag, it was made in 1981 and is 50/50 cotton and nylon if that helps. The tags themselves are a white cloth.

post-153059-0-85445000-1482381742_thumb.jpg

Here's the woodland without the top one buttoned:

According to the tag, it was made in 1981 and is 50/50 cotton and nylon if that helps. The tags themselves are a white cloth.

Yep,the early issue, these had White tags 81 dates. Still got my first issue caps both same, White tags 1981 dated (don't have the rest no more). Got mine, or actually bought mine in May 1982, we got them late where I was stationed, Alaska.

Yeah, those 81 uniforms were kind of a crapshoot. Some were OK but others shrunk up, faded badly and generally looked like crap.

My favorites were the HWBDUs (Hot weather 100% cotton ripstop.) The drawback to those was that they fell apart after a year or so. Especially on the knees of the pants, right above the cargo pockets, mine would start wearing through there until they eventually got long cuts. When I was in Haiti we had a guy with a sewing machine who would patch them up for us until we looked like the rag bag army, but as soon as we got back to CONUS those were quickly trimmed into shorts or thrown out.