U.S. Army Officer's Sabre Model 1902 Original Specifications

LTBrink

Does anyone have any information on what the original design parameters were for the M1902 as for combat use? Who designed it? Who was the original manufacturer? What was the original weight? What was the design point of balance? I am also collecting data on different manufacturers of the M1902. So far, I only have one example that I have found of an American Military supply Sabre stamped Germany that has a blade length of 30 inches, weight of 564 grams, and a point of balance of 4.5 inches from the hilt. If anyone else has M1902s in their collections and would care to add their specifications, I would appreciate it.

Put 1902 Saber in the search box in the upper right hand corner. You will get a lot of threads with information about them.

I have done a search and I have not found any weight, point of balance, or point of percussion data on any Model 1902 sabres. If anyone that has some M1902s that they can take these measurements from and post them here, it would be a great help to my research. I would like to compare these specifications between the manufacturers and years. I would really be interested in the specifications of an early Springfield Armory model.

Also, if anyone has this data on other American swords and sabres, I would be interested in that data as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest you get a copy of Swords and Sabers of the United States Army 1867-1918 by Dusan P. Farrington. Mowbray Publishing, ISBN; 1-931464-760-4.

Keep in mind they are a relatively light weight saber and I have never seen any interest in this data. I must have 50 plus pre- WWI and WWII 02's around here and you are free to look at them.post-42786-0-54149500-1483398115.jpg

Although I am by no means an expert on these sabers, I will add my specimen.

30 inch blade, weight circa 600 grams (my scale is not that sensitive), point of balance also about 4.5 inches from the guard.

Maker not certain, marked M.C.Lilley & Co. Columbus, O. This of course is the seller, not the maker.

As these were never intended for combat, strictly as dress uniform / parade / ceremonial the specifications were very loose and allowed the maker to conform to a general pattern rather than strict specifications. I stand to be corrected on that, but I do know that there are variations from maker to maker. They were also made in at least three blade lengths that I have seen over the years.

Spathologist

Here are the 1918 specs published by Springfield. I apologize for the quality.

For some unknown reason, the M1902 was, after some point, renamed the M1907. This new designation endured through the subsequent specifications to at least the 1960s...

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Bayonetman for your measurements.

So far, I have measurements from American Military Supply and M.C.Lilley & Co.

So far we have a high weight of 600 grams and a low of 564 grams with an average weight of 582 grams. Point of balance seems to average 4.5 inches so far. If Anyone has any early Ames or Springfield models they can weigh and measure. I would be interested in documenting those as well.

• 1 month later...

I would suggest you get a copy of Swords and Sabers of the United States Army 1867-1918 by Dusan P. Farrington. Mowbray Publishing, ISBN; 1-931464-760-4.

Keep in mind they are a relatively light weight saber and I have never seen any interest in this data. I must have 50 plus pre- WWI and WWII 02's around here and you are free to look at them.attachicon.gif30a9vnq.jpg

Was that letter from Henry V Allien and Company quoted in this book?

Ok, I found the primary source were this letter was referenced. Annual Reports of the War Department for the Fiscal Year Ended in June 30,1905. Vol. IX Chief of Ordnance. (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1905.) Page 124.

I am citing it in a book I am writing on American Swordsmanship.