ww2 5th Air Force Officers Jacket

FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35

Greetings Everyone,

So I recently won this item on epay and all in all im very satisfied. I am confused on the things though,The Vanguard Wings and the owner of the jacket.

The Vanguard Wings seem to have some substance ive never seen before arond the posts on the back and Im not an expert on wings but I have my doubts. Maybe somebody can give their opinions on what they think as I dont know alot about wing marks and posts looking like this.

The other thing Im trying to figure out is who is C.N.RICE ... I have fiddled around with different names but just cant come up with anything. I tryed Charles,carl,etc etc...I am assuming he was a captain as the captain bars are Original. Mayve someone has a roster list or can help me out with information. Id greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guyys !! thumbsup.gif

post-3581-1223141501.jpg

post-3581-1223141508.jpg

post-3581-1223141526.jpg

FightenIrish35

I actually just realized that he has an ETO ribbon with a badge??? Hows that possible the 5th AirForce was the main airforce that fought japan,right?

FightenIrish35

I just found this on a french website...and it says a Charles N Rice crashe 7-31-45 on Le Shima...only thing is the group he was in wasnt under the 5th AirForce it was under the 12th I belive it read..... here it is

P-47N-1-RE 507th 464th

? Accidenté à l'atterrissage le 31/07/45 à Plum Field, Ie Shima (Iles Ryu-Kyu) - Pilote : Charles N. Rice

the plane tail number----44-88158

FightenIrish35

I also ran a search for the date JULY 31,1945 5TH AIR FORCE...and i came up with that the 5th air force moved to Ryukus Islands that date which was the day he was shot down. So maybe he was in the 5th Air Force somehow?

FightenIrish35

Hmm This one is going to be a stumper lol...I did take the ribbons off to take a look at them and i should have take an image before i put them back on but the posts were a kind i have never seen before it was a solid curved back with the patent on it and the ribbons sliped right off. I just dont know where to go next to figure out who he was.grr

FightenIrish35

Well this guys going to be a stumper...can someone help me with the wings,are the markings correct and what the the stuff around the posts are?

Thanks guys

Hi,

I just looked and the 5th airforce flew in the pacific for sure. ALL in all its not to bad of a jacket just the ribbon bars aren't corret but I like it besides the ribbon bars that aren't correct

Mr.b

FightenIrish35

Yes,Its a nice jacket it just has the mystery of the origianl owner :unsure:

I am leaning more towards Beasts link for the Navigator Charles N Rice who was n China Burma and Pacific...only thing is theres no extra holes from ribbons so i dont know im really stumped. Does anyone have a lead on a Navigator Charles N Rice...who was in ChinaBurma and Pacific. think.gif

I just found this on a french website...and it says a Charles N Rice crashe 7-31-45 on Le Shima...only thing is the group he was in wasnt under the 5th AirForce it was under the 12th I belive it read..... here it is

P-47N-1-RE 507th 464th

? Accidenté à l'atterrissage le 31/07/45 à Plum Field, Ie Shima (Iles Ryu-Kyu) - Pilote : Charles N. Rice

the plane tail number----44-88158

It seems to me that all the information you need is right here in front of you. Why would you think about a C.B.I. navigator when the coat has a 5th AF patch? Some how you've misread where the 507th Fighter Sq, 464th Fighter Group flew. They were in the 5th AF ,operating on Okinawa (Ie Shima) through the end of the war. Charles N. Rice was not shot down; he had an accident in a P-47. My bet would be that the coat belonged to Charles N. Rice USAAF. FYI - He had no victories. The wings appear to later vintage, early to mid 1950s to 1960s by the hallmark. The ribbons clearly were added to 'enhance' the jacket. I wouldn't bet that he was a Captain either, until you verified it. You'll need to do your research to try (unlikely as it may be) to locate either copies of, or extracts from a reconstructed personnel file, to determine what he rates by contacting NARA at St. Louis. Good Luck!

Bobgee

FightenIrish35

Thanks BobGee..I was pretty sure that when I looked up the 507th they were under the 15th Airforce. That was a major part I was going over. And thanks for the info on the wings, I really appreciate it.

FightenIrish35

I just recieved an email back from a former 507th member and I now have defintly found out who Charles N Rice was. Now I am awaiting the group image of him and the 464th.

Charles N. Rice was a pilot in the 465th Squadron. He is deceased. I don't recall the accident - could have been taxi or some minor incident. As you know, many of our pilots had previous combat experience in the European and Pacific areas. The 507th was assigned to the 5th, 20th, 7th and 8th Air Forces during our tour - Charles could have flown in Europe and then sent to the Pacific and assigned to the 5th before transferring to the 507th. I don't remember him but I do have a group picture of the 464th pilots and he is in that picture.

It seems to me that all the information you need is right here in front of you. Why would you think about a C.B.I. navigator when the coat has a 5th AF patch? Some how you've misread where the 507th Fighter Sq, 464th Fighter Group flew. They were in the 5th AF ,operating on Okinawa (Ie Shima) through the end of the war. Charles N. Rice was not shot down; he had an accident in a P-47. My bet would be that the coat belonged to Charles N. Rice USAAF. FYI - He had no victories. The wings appear to later vintage, early to mid 1950s to 1960s by the hallmark. The ribbons clearly were added to 'enhance' the jacket. I wouldn't bet that he was a Captain either, until you verified it. You'll need to do your research to try (unlikely as it may be) to locate either copies of, or extracts from a reconstructed personnel file, to determine what he rates by contacting NARA at St. Louis. Good Luck!

Bobgee

Mike - After I got your PM I went back and checked. I AM WRONG. I reversed the Sq & Group numbers. So ignore my info. I'll stick with the wing info though.

Good Hunting! Bobgee

• 1 year later...
Mike - After I got your PM I went back and checked. I AM WRONG. I reversed the Sq & Group numbers. So ignore my info. I'll stick with the wing info though.

Good Hunting! Bobgee

FightenIrish35, Just became a member here. I was surfing the net the other day and had stumbled upon this forum and this discussion. I have some of Lt. Charles Noble Rice's items. I have his tropical pilots uniforms with his rank name and numbers and his trunk that was with him while based on IE Shima. According to Rice's widow, he had a few successful missions with the 465th not recorded. His widow said that successe were not always recorded. This was a very small Fighter Group. Rice also had a mechanical problem while landing which resulted in a wreck resulting slight damage to his P-47N. After the war Rice joined the club of his fellow squadron mates called "Poop Of The Group" there is a magazine out called that. Rice enlisted in 1941 so it is possible that he had served in Europe but I do not think so. When I find them, I will post some pictures of Rice and group members and their nose arts. I hope this onfo helps, Bill

Cobrahistorian

Mike,

It looks like you've got a great jacket that's had some additions to enhance it. I'm intrigued at the 5th AF patch, since the 507th was part of the 7th AF while flying from Ie Shima, but since they were assigned to the 5th at one point, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm in contact with Major Dave Pearson who flew with the 507th as a 1LT in 1945 and if you'd like I can ask him if he's got any information on Rice.

As far as I know, the 507th FG didn't fly in Europe, they were organized later and were among the first (if not THE first to fly the P-47N, one of my favorite airplanes). I'm definitely suspicious of the EAME ribbon on there, especially since there's no PTO ribbon. He should have a PTO ribbon with three stars on it (China Offensive, Ryukus Campaign and the Air Offensive Japan Campaign). There are a couple good 507th websites out there, so coming up with more info on them should be pretty easy.

Jon