Navy Hat Badge

Jay V

When referencing the "left" or "right" facing thing, you have to state from whose perspective to avoid confusion. Pre 1941 is "eagle's left" or "viewer's right."

When referencing the "left" or "right" facing thing, you have to state from whose perspective to avoid confusion.  Pre 1941 is "eagle's left" or "viewer's right."

Accurate observation. As collectors, does it make senses to refer to the wearer's POV? Every discussion I recall among collectors assumes viewer's POV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience, with clothing, uniforms and associated accouterments, unless specified otherwise it is conventional to use left and right with reference to the wearer. So we say a man's jacket buttons left over right, we say some WW2 rates wore the rating badge on the right arm, we say wings are worn on the left breast, we say enlisted army brass is worn with the US on the right and branch on the left.

Justin B.

Oh, and 99% (that's a SWAG, but in general) of pre-1941 officer's devices were in bullion, not metal. The same can be said for the post-1941 ones, but just the opposite. And as far as dating post-1941 hat devices, it's pretty much impossible to say that one was made in 1942 and another was made in 1952, unless there are specific maker marks that can be IDed to the certain time periods.