Lafayette Escadrille Uniform?

nchistory

A little out of my collecting arena.. Lafayette Escadrille?? Bad pics from a listing, I found under ACW items. Any ideas on the soutache chevron left sleeve? Hard to see, but has the winged star on collar. Came from New England estate of Navy Commander Norman F. Ballou born 1902. Any ideas???????????????????????? Will get better pics when arrives.. Thanks in advance.

post-153086-0-99727400-1481481960_thumb.jpg

The buttons are Aviation. The two chevrons on the sleeve indicate 1 year and six months service in the War. There is no apparent rank, but the cut and style of the jacket indicate an NCO or Officer.

Lafayette Esq. or Flying Corps????

If Ballau or a relation is on the rosters you might have a winner.

There is no Norman F. Ballou on the roster of the Lafayette Escadrille or the Lafayette Flying Corps. If born in 1902 he would have been 16 when the war ended, and would not have been a flyer with the French. The orange piping also indicates aviation. On 28 January 1915 the French changed their color for aviation personnel from red to orange. MHJ

In this estate was a Uniform of Navy Commander Norman F Ballou born 1902, served before and during WW2. There was also this dated 1915 overcoat. Not sure what or who it belonged to?

post-153086-0-50285400-1481582888.jpgpost-153086-0-95362700-1481582902.jpg

Escadrille said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thx. I replied with some info to your posting but it does not appear to have gone thru. The collar devices are NCO aircrew. This is consistent with the orange piping and the cloth sleeve insignia. The buttons are classic private purchase aviation. Are there signs of a badge over the right pocket? Despite the mothing it's a nice find as it's the real deal.

Thanks for adding me as a friend!

Charlie