Annual Fleet Inspection: Contributory Factor of Sinkings on December 7th?

Gator

Greetings,

For those that did not see my post, I recently acquired the dog tags and some related memorabilia to a survivor of Pearl Harbor that was serving aboard the USS Maryland on that fateful day. I learned through some initial research that the University of North Texas had conducted an oral interview with the survivor in 1974. During that interview he recounted his experiences prior to December 7th and shortly thereafter. I subsequently contacted the University who was very gracious in providing me with a transcript (PDF) of that interview.

Since that time I have read through those 65 pages and attached handwritten notes a couple of times and was surprised to learn, at least for me it was, that Pearl was in the mist of an annual fleet inspection. Now I am not verse on such but from my readings it appears that this is a very big event. An event that also may have, in my opinion, been one of the many contributing factors for the quick sinking of the USS Oklahoma and California. This opinion will be laid out in the forthcoming scanned exerts of the survivor's account. I would further point out that it is well known that Japan had successfully planted spies in around Pearl Harbor/Ford Island one of which whose name escapes me but he was so successful in his duties that Japan was able to build a detailed mock up of of Battleship Row and more. Having done that would it not have been possible for him to know of the annual fleet inspection and what that entails as well?

It was also interesting to learn that crew members aboard the USS Maryland had spotted/detected submarines not once but twice days before the attack! It's not clear as to what day(s) from the interview but he says that this happened. Made me wonder if it was one of the 5 midget submarines or one of the I-16's?

As stated, I will be posting several scans of the interview in relation to the annual fleet inspection and of those in relation to the submarine sightings. The first seven scans are in relation to the annual inspection. The remaining two are in relation to the submarines(s) sightings. I hope you enjoy and look forward to feedback and comments.

Mark

post-5028-0-23068200-1481204837_thumb.jpg

post-5028-0-96085400-1481204843_thumb.jpg

post-5028-0-26505300-1481204852_thumb.jpg

From my experience, material conditions (watertight integrity) are pretty much always relaxed in port. Inspection or not they wouldn't have been in a heightened state of material condition unless there was a threat. When you're in port the condition is normally set at X-ray which is the easiest way to maneuver through the ship. In port there is normally all sorts of repair and maintenance work going on. There are crews moving all around doing work, including civilian contractors. It would be difficult to get anything done if you had to stop at every door and hatch to open/close them. On the morning of Dec 7 I don't think anyone believed that they were in imminent danger of attack until it was too late.

The only real factor I see from his interview is where he talks about "real ammunition" being locked away. I don't know what it was like 75 years ago, but now whenever a vessel is in port there are armed watch standers at all times... everything from small arms (9mm, M4, 12ga shotgun) guarding pier side to .50 cal guarding against waterborne attack.