The Man Who Tried to Stop Pearl Harbor

doyler

Interesting article, really shows the other side of the story! Sad how many years he went without credit for his heroic action! Thanks for posting, it was an interesting read!

Yes, he deserves credit for being one of the few people that didn't screw up at Pearl Harbor. Could he have done anything to stop it? No. Even if Tyler had believed him, the fighter direction center was unmanned.

Thanks for sharing Doyler. It's interesting to read that Mr Elliott wanted Lt. Tylor's name kept out of the article as he felt he'd suffered enough. At the Pearl Harbor visitors center there is some excellent audio of Lt. Tylor testifying to (I think) the Naval Board of Inquiry in August 1942. In the audio that they play, you can hear at least one of the senior officers on the board talk sympathetically about the lack training and about the fact that there was no one else there etc. I was good to hear that it wasn't all 'pinned on him' for lack of better words. I've just had a look around for the transcript and I think it's this one: https://www.awesomestories.com/asset/view/Pearl-Harbor-Hearings-Kermit-Tyler-Testimony

Anyhow, the interview with Mr Elliott is very interesting and well worth reading. Thanks again for sharing it.

Tom

Totally agree with you there mate. There is no doubt that whole event is monumental but its the little details like these that really make history what it is. Cheers again for sharing the original link, I'm a little embarrassed that I had never been the pearl-habor.com website.

Thanks,

Tom