WW I Salvage Service Video

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

I've always had a keen interest in the AEF & U.S. Army Salvage Service operations both at home and abroad during WW I.

Unfortunately aside from a few pages in a handful of post war studies devoted to supplying & equipping America's Army during the Great War, I've yet to find a detailed history about this little known section of the Quartermaster Corps.

A while back the following link was sent to me by another forum member. I found the video to be very interesting because it depicted various aspects of how the stateside salvage operations were conducted ... Hopefully you will too. The video shows badly damaged clothing, campaign hats and russet shoes being received, sorted, repaired, sized and bundled for reissue:

http://i1os.com/WW1_Quarter_Master_Salvage_Operations_in_the_U_S_A_(1918)/UkZhkfee0dE.video

Here is a screen capture from the video showing an example of a badly torn pair of 1911 Olive Drab, Woolen Service Breeches as they were received for repairs.

post-5143-0-68558300-1480994761_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Before & after shot of the damaged & repaired breeches. Officially salvaged & reissued clothing would make an unusual addition to anybody's militaria collection as it's additional variation of the garments that were issued & worn by servicemen. Anyway, something for hard-core collectors to keep an eye out for.

post-5143-0-75568400-1480995173_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Front & back of a pair of 1917 Olive Drab Salvaged Service Breeches bearing a label that reads "Salvage Repair Shop Camp Lewis Wash." that are currently for sale on the Colonels Cache website.

The label indicates that the breeches were repaired at the named clothing repair shop, but I cannot detect what repairs were actually made to the breeches in the photos ... photos courtesy of the Colonel's Cache

By the way, this is the only article of labeled Salvage Service clothing that I have ever seen offered for sale.

post-5143-0-96036600-1480995560_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Front & back of a pair of 1917 Olive Drab Woolen Service Breeches as issued without repairs for comparison, and a close up of the label stitched to the outer, waistband of the above salvage breeches.

Inset courtesy of the Colonel's Cache

Photos of the breeches courtesy of 44th Collector's Avenue

PS, if anyone can spot what repairs were made to the salvaged breeches, please post what you discovered.

post-5143-0-25128600-1480995798_thumb.jpg

Great film. I especially like the scenes where the used campaign hats are refurbished, ripping out the old sweatband and hat bands, etc. Thanks for posting!!

Steve

I have the service record to a local guy in my research that was in one of the salvage units that served overseas. His unit was referred to in his discharge as a salvage squadron, which I found quite interesting.

I will have to dig around on my hard drive and post some scans when I get a chance.

-Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Here is a signal corps photo showing the 30th Division Salvage Company rooting through the debris of war. I see all types of gear in the pile so I'm wondering if a lot of these guys are really looking for souvenirs!

Kim

post-60-0-64155500-1481556013_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-93910500-1481556021_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Wow! Neat photo. From what I've read the salvage piles on the battlefield or outside a field hospital, before they were sorted, contained just about everything a Doughboy could want or need. Most soldiers dug through the pile to find a badly needed piece of equipment such as a better pair of shoes, a mess kit or an overcoat. However, since abandoned equipment from other armies, including the German was also gathered, the salvage piles were likely a reasonable source for common souvenirs like bayonets & helmets.