1:35 Scale 82nd Abn Market Garden Shadow box vignette

Old Marine

This is another small shadowbox vignette. This box depicts members of the 82nd Airborne assembling just off the drop zone in Holland during Operation Market-Garden in September 1944.

The shadow box measures about 7.5 x 5.5 x 3.5 inches. The figures are an old DML set of Glider/Airborne figures and are pretty much straight out of the box with a few altered and added pieces. The figures are painted with with my normal mix of model acrylics and artist gouache.

The inner box is made of foam board and fits inside the wood shadowbox. The background is a composite of a bunch of photos of Holland, C47s, and a modern army training jump. I photo shopped everything together and printed it out on a sheet of heavyweight matte paper. I just tacked it in place on a curve with some white glue, it's pretty fragile, but inside the box it's fine.

Anyway here are some photos, Thanks in advance for your comments.

Dennis

post-2843-0-81777600-1480992334_thumb.jpg

Really nice Dennis!

Amazing details

Just was looking at a map today that was carried by a vet in the 508th I knew.He was a Battalion Surgeon

Ron,

The background print is a photoshop composite made up of about four different photos. I found a nice landscape of the Dutch countryside with the iconic windmill and then added images of a restored C47 in flight. The image I found was looking at the airplane from the ground so it was the right angle. I then found photos of US Army mass training jumps photographed from the ground that matched the angle of the C47 and added the parachutes.

I used photoshop and just merged all the images together replicating the plane and parachutes. Using photoshop I could also resize and change the angle of the aircraft and chutes. I could also then enhance the colors and change the opacity to make things look like they are in the distance.

Your a photo shop wizard!!

I was thinking you painted it!!

SHould send you a picture from the vet.He had a little scrap book with a 8x10 drop photo and a lot of newspaper clipping from Marget Gargen.

Dennis,

I NEVER get tired of looking at your work! Amazing job! The figures are amazing! I agree with Ron, you are a photoshop wizard!

...Kat

That's pretty spectacular. I really like your approach. Adds a whole new level to the presentation that I'd not really considered before.

That's one nifty looking display Dennis :)! Your creativity resulted in a wonderful little boxed vignette and tribute to the men of the All American.

Joe

Hey Dennis;

Another outstanding diorama/vignette. The figures are great and I love how the ground work blends in with the background photo. Your work is exceptional.

I have one question. What do you use for your rifle slings? Lead foil? They look very good. I do mine but they can be a pain in the butt to get them to hang the way you want or sometimes to attach to a rifle.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Hi Manny,

Thanks, I just use plain bond, copier paper or a post it note. Attaching the tiny sling to the rifle is always a hard task, just patience, super glue and kicker. I tack it in place top and bottom with super glue and then brush it over with diluted white glue. You kind of have to fool around with it, if it's too wet you can break the paper and if the glue is too thick it's gloppy. As the glue dries you can carefully use the paint brush to give the sling that natural curve.

I have used foil but it always looked crinkled. The paper method can take a few attempts to get right but I think it looks better. You can shape the sling with super glue and spray kicker too, but you have to work quicker. Tack the sling top and bottom and then using a tooth pick swipe a tiny bit of super glue along the paper. A lot of times the glue hardens in a nice natural curve on its own. Good luck.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Now that is neat. At first glance it could almost pass for a painting if viewed from straight-on! Thanks for sharing it with us!

RC