A Navy SEAL's Knife in Iraq?

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Elsewhere on our Forum member Cap Camouflage Pattern I posted a cool photo of a Navy SEAL at Ramadi, Iraq in April 2006. The original post had to do with using older personal gear and uniforms.

I was struck by the blade that the guy in the foreground has on his right hip. Is that an M3 or perhaps a Mark 2, or something else? Since he is carrying an old school M79 grenade launcher I am ruling out the possibility that it might be an M4 carbine bayonet. What appears to be a leather handle stands out. Can anyone here ID the blade?

SEAL Knife at Ramadi 4-2006.jpg

Regards,

Charlie

It's not an M3, M4, or MK2. Appears to be something else. Note the thick pommel w/ lanyard hole. Not quite sure what it is. SKIP

Charlie Flick

Aha! I think you guys are right. I found a pic of that blade on the SOG knife collectors site:

scu main.jpg

I'll have to start paying attention to the newer knives.

Charlie

I agree, the 2001-2008 examples of the SOG Scuba/Demo seem to be a very good match to the hilt of the knife in the picture and it came in a black leather sheath with stone pocket. Also from the orientation of the lanyard hole on the pommel, the knife appears to be sheathed in an edge forward position.

• 4 weeks later...