A few new pieces

robinb

Got these today. 57mm drill round dated 1943 in the shipping tube, 1952 dated 4.2" mortar round, and a shaped charge holder, date unknown.

MVC-026S.JPG

And my favorite out of the lot. A 37mm M1000 armor plate test round. Used at the armor plate factory to test lots of armor shield. Dated 1952.

MVC-027S.JPG

MVC-028S.JPG

That 4.2in mortar looks to be a chemical round. One green band on a grey background means it's a non-persistent agent (GB, CG, or CK. CK is a blood agent, CG is phosgene, and GB is a blister agent.) Don't know where you got it, but be carful! LOL!! The shape charge comes from the shape charge kit we use in EOD. It is packed with C4 and used in punching through thick cased ordnance for disposal. By focusing the blast wave, it requires less explosives to dispose of items. This one is a MK 3 Mod 0 if I remember correctly. The kit had diffrent sizes and variations of linear and conical shape charges. Came in a big can. The charges were expendable, but the can was not! LOL! So, if you had the can and it was empty! All good! LOL!

That's not good. That is a key ID feature for a Chem round. This is potentially dangerous. I just retired from 25 years of service as an EOD CSM in the Army. If it were me, I would do the following: call the local law enforcement. They inturn call the Military EOD unit at Fort Lewis Washington IAW with the MMR. (Military Munitions Rule CFR 40). They should dispatch a Team to come and remove the item and send it to a demil facility for disposal. This is of course completely up to you. You can keep the mortar and not call, but I would not take a chance on it leaking and putting folks in danger. I can provide you with the number to the Military EOD folks at Fort Lewis so you can pass it on to the Police. Can you call 321-795-3902?

Smitty

Also, if it is live. It has a burster charge of HE. Possibly Tetryl. The fuze well for CHEM mortars has an adapter ring for the fuze to screw into.

post-162205-0-39653500-1480947200.gif

oldradiostuff

I have to strongly agree with EODsmity on getting rid of that 4.2 round.

I retired last year after 25 years as a chemist and safety director at a University, where we had almost 3000 acres of former training and impact range as campus ranches. USACE has spent the last 10 years doing clean up of UXO on our campus, and have it programmed for 40 (!) more years of work. We had lots of frag from 4.2 chemical rounds from WWII and Korea - all WP, but I was the campus UXO contact so had to learn more than I ever wanted to about it.

You do not want any of those agents he listed, CK, CG, or GB, anywhere near your house. CK can polymerize with age and spontaneously explode even without initiating the bursting charge. Phosgene (CG) can actually kill you at levels below the odor threshold, so you can die before you even know it's leaking. And GB is actually Sarin, and nerve gas agent. I believe Sarin is normally deployed as a binary for shelf life, so if yours is sloshing that may not be what's in it.

If any of those agents are in that 4.2 and it leaks, you, your family, and your neighbors are at extreme risk.

The 4.2 is stenciled INERT just below the green band. I've had these before. I understand that they are filled with an inert liquid (glycerin I believe) for training purposes.

oldradiostuff

That's what we call an "important detail."

I'm a little surprised that they don't have dye and a bursting charge to mark impact location during training.

Just want to make sure no one gets hurt. What is the nomenclature for the mortar? I have found practice round info on other calibers that use an antifreeze type filler, but nothing specific to the 4.2 inch version. I will dig through my stuff to find you a data sheet to put with it so that some EOD guy, like myself with good intentions, dosent go down this road again! LOL!

Smitty

Just want to make sure no one gets hurt. What is the nomenclature for the mortar? I have found practice round info on other calibers that use an antifreeze type filler, but nothing specific to the 4.2 inch version. I will dig through my stuff to find you a data sheet to put with it so that some EOD guy, like myself with good intentions, dosent go down this road again! LOL!

Smitty

4.2'' WW2 was the M2 ()

4.2'' was the M30 post WW2 (1951)

It's marked M2A1AL7. Not positive about the last two figures. And a picture of it laying on the floor in front of my M2 mortar.

MVC-018S.JPG

MVC-020S.JPG

MVC-019S.JPG

• 3 weeks later...