WW2 41st Cavalry Reconaissance Troop photos

Vincennes

I hit the jackpot at the flea market today. I bought 3 photo albums which (I think) belonged to Earnie L Peterson based on signatures on receipts in scrapbook #3.

Scrapbook #1 is while he was in the 41st Cavalry Reconaissance Troop in the South Pacific during WW2. The 170 photos cover the fighting in Biak and the Philipinnes. They include lots of named soldiers, LVT's approaching Biak, the invasion of the Phillipinnes, the capture and interogation of POW's, distant bombings, etc. 2 of these photos are shown below.

Scrapbook #2 contains 138 photos of the unit occuping Japan with almost 1/2 the photos being of the ruins of Hiroshima.

Scrapbook #3 contains 146 photos of Japan in 1951-52. They apparently are a second deployment during the Korean War during which he may have been a Doctor. There are a lot of views of Hiroshima comparing scenes taken in 1945 compared to the same scene taken in 1951.

It will take me a while to go through all these albums but if anyone knows of a reference that lists the members of the 41st Cavalry Reconaissance Troop during WW2 I would appreciate knowing of it so I can confirm the names in the scrapbook.

Photo #1 is labeled: "Going in for thr initial landing on the island of Mindanao! D-Day March 10th 1945. This is when you wonder what you will find waiting for you."

Photo #2 is labeled: "That's me with beard. We looked like this after returning from a 'several days' patrol".

Paul

post-2319-0-86216600-1480809288_thumb.jpg

post-2319-0-39284900-1480809308_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here are 3 more pictures from the album.

#1 is "Smoke is from a direct Japanese hit on our gas and oil dump! P.S. We were stationed right next to it."

#2 is "My first view of Zamboanga City."

#3 is unlabeled. But came from the Philippines part of the scrapbook.

Paul

post-2319-0-59715700-1486127954_thumb.jpg

post-2319-0-31221900-1486127975_thumb.jpg

post-2319-0-42855800-1486128001_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

If you can let me see the Biak photos I might be able to identify some people. My father was a 2nd Lt. at Biak in the 41st Cav Recon Troop, and wrote about this campaign in various places. The top photo appears to be Bosnek beach, the landing zone on 27 May 1944.

PacificGunner

Incredible find, I always love seeing stuff that comes out of flea markets/yard sales/estate sales. Just shows that getting up early and putting forth the effort really pays off. It might take a while to go through everything, but that is some time well spent. I've come across some 41st ID items in my time collection, but nothing from the 41st Calvary Reconnaissance Troop, I wish I had some information to share about them.

I have gotten considerable more info on Einar L Peterson (correct name) since my original post in Dec. of 2016. Including that the 3rd. Album was not a second tour in the Army but he was working for the Red Cross at that time. I also have a roster of the WW2 41st. Cavalry Recon group. Einar is deceased but I have talked to several people he worked with after he left the Red Cross up until his death here in Tulsa.

I have also asked GClaeys to email me so we can exchange info.

Paul

• 3 years later...

There are unit rosters in the archive in Helana, Montana:

These records of the United States Adjutant General's Office consist of 32 reels of "Morning Reports," September 1940-August 1943, April-July and September-October 1944, and March-June 1945, listing current location of each military unit within the 41st Infantry Division, and the soldiers on active duty in that unit. Some reports also include narrative accounts on actions. A few of the reels include units in Europe, North Africa, and Alaska. There is also 1 reel of "Annexes to Operations Reports, 186th, Biak.":

Title:

United States Adjutant General's Office records: 41st Infantry Division 222

Collection Number

MF 507

Content Description:

These records of the United States Adjutant General's Office consist of 32 reels of "Morning Reports," September 1940-August 1943, April-July and September-October 1944, and March-June 1945, listing current location of each military unit within the 41st Infantry Division, and the soldiers on active duty in that unit. Some reports also include narrative accounts on actions. A few of the reels include units in Europe, North Africa, and Alaska. There is also 1 reel of "Annexes to Operations Reports, 186th, Biak."

http://mhs.mt.gov/research/

Montana Historical Society Research Center Archives
225 North Roberts
PO Box 201201
Helena MT
59620-1201
Telephone: 4064442681
Fax: 4064445297
[email protected]