Two Stunning Vintage 1950s USMC Combat Dioramas.

patches

These two dioramas I just had to scan and share, they are from that Model Soldiers book from 1962. Don't know anything on these two, like what scale, or how the figures and bases and stuff were made, one (The Tarawa Dio, say made of Duron and Some Wood what ever that means, not finding anything for Duron, other then modern computer definitions).

Nor like where they were photographed for the book, like if they were a privately commissioned work, or made for display at a USMC base, don't know if they're still even existent, this information wasn't in the caption, the only thing of note in the caption was they were made by some entity called Displayers INC.

So here we go, the first is for the Mexican War, again no idea if the uniforms are cloth, straps are etc, but the detail is stunning right, the proportions, poses, the equipment, the background buildings, the ground etc are unbelievably realistic.

Click on Image for Larger View

post-34986-0-20226200-1480786406_thumb.jpg

And the Tarawa one, now this is way way before quality figures came out, indeed not even Tamiya, I even don't know what scale it is unfortunately, so no idea on the figures and gear, weapons etc, but as we see the details are unbelievable.

Click and Click Again on Image for Larger View

post-34986-0-41831200-1480786674_thumb.jpg

Wow that Tarawa diorama is really unbelievable especially like you said its way before any quality figures came out on the market...dang thats good.....mike

There is/was a Tarawa diorama in the 2d Marine Division HQ at Camp Lejeune if I recall correctly. Don't know if the picture is of that one but it is certainly possible.

There was a small Marine museum in Philadelphia in the early 1960's near Independance Hall that had such dioramas....these look very familiar.i think they also had a Rev war scene as well

Yep it's at the National Muesum of the United States Marine Corps.

Here it is in color. On one blog, a contributor estimates it's 1/16 scale.

post-34986-0-71874000-1480815135_thumb.jpg

About 25 years ago I visited a museum at the Washington Navy Yard (D.C.). I don't remember all that was displayed but I do recall there were several dioramas depicting Marines in combat. These might have come from there. Perhaps they were moved to the new National Museum of the Marine Corps when it was built. The Mexican War dio might be there or placed in storage. I'm always drawn to these custom built dioramas that are displayed in museums. The older ones like these were created without the benefit of commercially available castings of heads and gear. Everything had to be made from scratch.

Tom

Wow, awesome dioramas. I have to admit that if that Tarawa diorama is 1/16 scale, that is a pretty big one.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 5 weeks later...

Getting no hits whatsoever for the builder of these two DIOs, Displayers INC, they where in NY, don't know in NYC or somewhere else outside of the city.

Oh and by the way, got to scan one more USMC DIO that's in this 62 model soldiers book, totally forgot to do that.

In the 70's early 80's there was a huge diorama of Tarawa in the Museum on Treasure Island. Does anyone know what happened to it? There was also a display of medals with a couple of original MOH's. What about those? Any info?

If you're saying that everything, men, equipment, weapons etc. are hand made from scratch that's amazing. I can't imagine the hours of work that went into them. It would be great to find out where that Mexican War one is and get some more pics of it. The buildings and gate are spectacular.

I have read that the company was Displayer inc in nyc , lived there and that was true i think they were around 23rd street, but could never be able to visit.

just my 2 cents

I have read that the company was Displayer inc in nyc , lived there and that was true i think they were around 23rd street, but could never be able to visit.

just my 2 cents

We appreciate the info, what year was this?

We appreciate the info, what year was this?

I have a book called Model soldiers by Henry Harris pub date 1962 pages 58-59 that when I first saw these.

company is displayers inc. the time this made of Duron and wood.

a further note this is to emphasizee perspective by use 22, 16, and 8 inch figures reading from the from front in that order. Made just post ww2

1960 its in a book about model soilgers

That's right, I scanned fotos from this book, see this.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/279449-a-vintage-photo-of-a-military-man-building-a-vintage-model-kit/

Now you said you lived in NYC and knew this firm was in NYC, maybe on 23rd Street, either West or East 23rd Street ( I live in NYC myself).

What Year do recall hearing about this firm that made models? was in the 1960s-70s in the 80s?

• 2 weeks later...

Getting no hits whatsoever for the builder of these two DIOs, Displayers INC, they where in NY, don't know in NYC or somewhere else outside of the city.

Oh and by the way, got to scan one more USMC DIO that's in this 62 model soldiers book, totally forgot to do that.

As promised, one that takes place during the Quasi War.

post-34986-0-25644300-1484890420_thumb.jpg

This one has a little better caption.

I Quote.

American Marines spiking the guns of a French fort in Santo Domingo, 11 May 1800.

Models are made of bees-wax with wood and metal additions, at the Maine Corps Memorial Museum, Philadelphia.

I found out when I bought the book about 1 year after, collected military miniatures and belonged to the military historical Society The Late, Peter J.Blum

was it founder and President, worked on 5th Avenue and 19th street many Military Patch makers were in that part of town and I started collecting insignias .

WHAT A RIDE