1944 WWII WW2 Purple Heart Document to Puerto Rican 17th Cavalry Scout ?

johnny12550

Hi,

I have this Purple Heart Document for Technician 5th Grade Manuel Gonzalez who was killed in action in 1944. Through Ancestry.com I found he was with the 17th Cavalry RCH Squadron. From what I found the 17th landed about a week after D-Day. It looks from the records that he was buried in France , but his mother had his body moved to Puerto Rico for burial in San Juan in 1949. I've attempted to research what RCH stands for, but have come up with nothing. Does anyone know what RCH during WWII stand for? I'm thinking a Recon group, but don't know exactly what the abbreviation means. Another question if anyone knows.... During the war the majority of soldiers were buries overseas. If a family member wanted to return a Soldier home, as in this case, would the Govt. do it free of charge or would the family have to pay for the relocation of the body?

post-129350-0-63356300-1480744938_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking you're just reading it as RCH when it's RCN or "recon". I tried researching this unit a little but couldn't find anything.

Hello,

As others have said the abbreviation is RCN and that stands for Reconnaissance.

You are correct that must U.S. casualties were initially interred in overseas cemeteries. Some men were exhumed from private burial locations and then reburied in U.S. controlled cemeteries. After both World War I and World War II the military contacted each family war casualty. The families of these deceased soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines were given choices regarding their loved ones' remains. Among them were burial in overseas cemeteries with perpetual care; return to the United States to a national cemetery or to a family grave site; or sending the remains anywhere in the world, with the family responsible for funeral costs. About 20% of families chose overseas cemeteries, the rest were reinterred elsewhere. The overseas cemeteries are maintained by the American Battle Monuments Commission.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Thanks to all for the information. You're right, its RCN not RCH. Below is part of the history of the 17th that I found on the net. I only cut and pasted until August 3rd when he was killed. Looks like Tec-5 Gonzalez was killed on the first action the 17th Recon saw against the enemy on August 3rd of 1944. He was one of 28 casualties that day. I'll try to resend the pics, the ones I posted came out tiny and hard to read. Thanks,John

History of the 17th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron

The 17th Cavalry Squadron was activated at Trowbridge, Wiltshire, England on the 15th of March 1944, by order of the 15th Cavalry Group (Mechanized) on the 9th of March 1944, by Authority of VIII Corps. On the 6th of April 1944 the Squadron was assigned to XX Corps, Third US Army and subsequently attached to the 15th Cavalry Group on the 15th of April 1944. From this date until VE (Victory in Europe) Day, the 17th Cavalry Squadron saw service with the Third and Ninth Armies, VIII, XIII, XVI and XIX Corps. From September 22, 1944 until late February, 1945, the 17th Cavalry Squadron was detached from the 15th Cavalry group and attached to such units as the 113th Cavalry Group, 30th Infantry Division, 29th Infantry Division, 102nd Infantry Division, 11th Cavalry group and the British Guards Armored Division.

Pre-Invasion Security Mission

The Squadron commenced its First overseas mission on the 17th of May, 1944, after moving from Trowbridge to the southern coast of England. Here, invasion troops of the American, British and Canadian Armies were being marshalled, briefed and rehearsed for landing operations on the continent of Europe on D-Day. During this preparatory phase, the Squadron was assigned the mission of establishing security screens around the various marshalling camps near Waymouth and in Dorset County in an effort to prevent unauthorized persons and information from passing into or out of these camps during the alert periods. In addition, the Squadron was also utilized to guard loading sites on Portland Island, were elements of the 1st Infantry Division and the 1st Amphibious Brigade were loading aboard assault craft for the invasion. The 17th cavalry was plunged into an atmosphere of dramatic tenseness created by almost nightly visits of enemy reconnaissance aircraft, the final preparations for the invasion and the climatic invasion itself on the 6th of June, 1944.

Following completion of the mission on the 9th of June, 1944, the Squadron returned to its base camp at Trowbridge to prepare for movement to the continent. A commendation from the Security Officer, Headquarters, Area “D” testifies to the success of the Squadron in accomplishing its first overseas mission.

Arrival in France

The Squadron moved from Trowbridge to Falmouth Harbor, a port on the south western coast of England, on the 11th of July, 1944, sailing fro France at 0630 on the 14th on 2 English manned liberty ships, the “Sir Francis Drake” and the “William King”. On the late afternoon of the 15th, these 2 ships containing the Squadron drew into Utah Beach on the Invasion coast amidst numerous half submerged vessels which formed a temporary harbor.

The Squadron was off loaded on to landing craft, disembarked and moved 3,5 miles to the destroyed town of St Mere Eglise where it went into bivouac for the night.

On the following day, the 17th Cavalry moved by convoy through the demolished cities of Montbourg and Valognes, to Les Peux, in the vicinity of Cherbourg, where it was assigned the mission of defending the Cherbourg peninsula against airborne and sea attack. On the 25th of July, the Squadron sustained its first casualties when Major Donohoe and 1st Lt Lindsay were killed by an exploding booby trap. The squadron completed this mission on July 29th.

The Brittany Peninsula and the dash for Brest

In anticipation of its first combat mission of World War II, the Squadron moved to an assembly area in the vicinity of Le Repas, France, on the 1st of August and on 2 August had finished loading rations, gasoline, ammunition and other items required for the “Dash to Brest”. It was assigned a true cavalry mission of spearheading Task Force “A” in a rapid swing up the Brittany Peninsula and securing important bridges on that peninsula. At 0100 hours in the darkness of the morning of August 3rd, C Troop of the Squadron led the column south and west through Avranches and westward up the peninsula. After travelling several hours at high speed without any sign of enemy resistance, the Squadron was suddenly halted and lead elements pinned down near Dol de Bretagne by a heavy rain of fire from a well concealed and strongly defended road block. Troop C, which was still leading, bore the brunt of this withering defense by small arms fire which lead to the death of the lead Platoon Leader, Lt Garrison, many men wounded and several lost in action. In all, a total of 28 casualties. Additionally, the 15th Cavalry Group Commander, Col. John Reybold, was reported missing and presumed captured. A presumption which later proved to be true.

On the census records for 1940 his family is shown living in PR, but had an alternate address in New York. He enlisted while in NY, so the document probably was delivered to his family's NY address and stayed on the mainland United States. From 1944 to the present that document has probably been through several states.

• 2 years later...

Just amazing...

I live just near the city where it happened. I'm always researching about the men of the platoon ambushed by the german at Dol-de-Bretagne.

Manuel Gonzalez Jr was Radio Operator in a M-8 Armored Car when his vehicle was hit by a german gun. all the crew was killed in action. the platoon ambushed was the 3rd Platoon leaded by 2nd Lt Harold S. Garrison (buried in the Brittany American Cemetery).

They were :

Sergeant Omar F. Hawes ASN : 19077666 -(California) buried at Brittany American Cemetery. He was the leader of the vehicle.

T/5 Henry V. Haynes ASN : 34185198 (Alabama) buried at Brittany American Cemetery. He was the Driver

Pvt Robert B. Rands - ASN : 36868091 - (Michigan) buried at Hillside Cemetery, St Clair, Michigan. He was turret gunner.

hoping it could add some information for your knowledge about Manuel Gonzalez Jr.

Best regards,

Antoine

He is buried in the following cemetery : Cementerio Santa Maria Magdalena de Pazzis, San Juan, Puerto Rico.

I asked to Puerto rico volunteers if they can take a picture of the grave but they told me that his grave is in bad condition, it was before the disaster on the isle, I just created his memorial on findagrave this afternoon, just before I saw your unexpected message.

I'm just curious about the other unit mentionned in the ancestry document. what is the Company H 1222nd CASU R.C. Camp Upton, NY ?

• 4 years later...
On 12/3/2016 at 1:19 AM, johnny12550 said:

ancestry record

post-129350-0-67866700-1480745933.jpg

Hi Johnny125590,  I just now read your post after 7 years (haha!) and thought I'd add a little bit. 

Early this month, I found a named Purple Heart to Norwood Emrick who was in the same unit as your guy. Small world! Mr. Emrick was from Dayton, Ohio and I found the medal at a flea market close by.

In the case of Mr. Emrick, he was wounded and taken prisoner in the same engagement/same day.

IMG_20231202_2040466022.jpg.6f810c463cc1096e01410a315b8f2fc0.jpgIMG_20231202_2040384132.jpg.054ac2598ecc2e04e1db03920332258e.jpg

Wow, it is a small world. Nice find BTW! I can’t believe that post is already 7 years old. If someone would have asked me about the post I would have said that I posted it about 2 years ago. Time flys!