Need some opinions please

gunner

So real? The blade looks right? I was worried it looked polished or reproduction?

I was comparing them to images from a users treasures like this photo bellow

post-3483-0-56047400-1480528839_thumb.jpg

stealthytyler

Here is the blade. This knife was carried by a 504th PIR trooper that was shot down by friendly fire over the beach of Gela during the invasion of Sicily. My grandfather helped evacuate the wounded man and in return, the trooper gave him this knife. My grandpas buddy removed the butt spike and ground it down smooth.

post-131595-0-73179200-1480532427_thumb.jpg

Does your knife come complete with the scabbard or no? Your knife is an original piece, but you don't mention price. What is it going to take for you to get the piece? If you really want this type fighting knife, you should get one complete with scabbard. Jack

No scabbard and he wants $350 if the price is right I'd be willing to look for a correct scabbard that's is looking for a blade to complete it.

Thoughts?

What is really comes down to is how badly do you want the piece? I paid 600 for mine with scabbard a couple of years ago. Scabbards seem to be much more scarce than the knives. I have two 1917 knuckle knives but no scabbards. Scabbards for them are really scarce the ones I have found are about twice the price of a knife. Good luck.

What is really comes down to is how badly do you want the piece? I paid 600 for mine with scabbard a couple of years ago. Scabbards seem to be much more scarce than the knives. I have two 1917 knuckle knives but no scabbards. Scabbards for them are really scarce the ones I have found are about twice the price of a knife. Good luck.

I agree loose scabbards tend to be hard to find....They used to show up periodically on eBay, but those generally sold for good money....You should have an easier time finding a leather M6 scabbard, but they sell for good money as well....

Gunner, I'd ask the seller what is his best price and go from there....Good Luck, Bodes

I agree with previous posts, finding a nice scabbard (with prongs) will likely prove difficult and expensive. In fact, the wear on the scabbard you find may not be compatible with the knife wear, and you end up with a poorly matching set. I'd recommend holding out until you come across a nice matched knife/scabbard set, hopefully at a decent price.

I would also agree with the above. Knives by themselves are more common than a correct orphaned sheath. To that point, I acquired the habit of collecting them if by chance I come across one that I agree with the price, even though it might not be a fit to what I collect. If nothing else they can be very good for sale or trade towards things that are in my interest.

I haven't been sorry passing up an incomplete item for a completed set. While I can't say the opposite was always true.

Scabbards are insanely priced! Very difficult to find! Have 2 MK1s (no scabbards), and 3 M1917s, 1 scabbard). You could trade or sell the M6 scabbard, it's in great shape, and you could get close to the same cash you would need for a MK1 scabbard. SKIP

Yikes Tyler, that's a howlin' knife.

Love that your grandpa carried it.

I never thought of the nuisance the pommel spike would be carrying it, until your post.

Good stuff, thanks.

To the OP, the gents here have steered you true. I personally think $350 is a premium for a loose polished 1918. I bought a near mint LF&C at a local pawn store for $600, with original scabbard (both prongs and 90% finish). Be patient, these things are around.

Here is the blade. This knife was carried by a 504th PIR trooper that was shot down by friendly fire over the beach of Gela during the invasion of Sicily. My grandfather helped evacuate the wounded man and in return, the trooper gave him this knife. My grandpas buddy removed the butt spike and ground it down smooth.

attachicon.gif m6 5.jpg

Scabbards are insanely priced! Very difficult to find! Have 2 MK1s (no scabbards), and 3 M1917s, 1 scabbard). You could trade or sell the M6 scabbard, it's in great shape, and you could get close to the same cash you would need for a MK1 scabbard. SKIP

Skip, the one shown with the m6 scabbard is not the one gunner posted, but is shown by another forum member.....Bodes