ID'd USS North Carolina (BB-55) M1 Helmet

warpath

USS North Carolina (BB-55) M1 Helmet with ID tag

Venhaus, Herbert F. – Boatswain Mate 1/c on board from 5/20/1944 to the end of 9/1944

post-3653-0-81519100-1480345046_thumb.jpg

Maybe the owner of the helmet does not want to share the helmet's story in case the helmet did not leave the ship with the former named owner.It is still nice to know the helmet has not lost it's provenance.I have been to BB55 many times since I was a child.I love the way that over time more of the ship's treasures are being discovered and documented.

• 3 months later...

I'll ask the owner if he would care to share, but I think the images are sufficient for now. Ed

Call and stop by my store sometime if you get near Fayetteville and I'll share more about this helmet...You'll get to see more than a few rare M1 and M1C helmets on your visit.

Thanks for looking. Ed

• 10 months later...

Call and stop by my store sometime if you get near Fayetteville and I'll share more about the USS North Carolina helmet grouping...You'll get to see more than a few rare M1 and M1C helmets on your visit. I have over 100 US helmets on display in my store.

Thanks for looking. Ed

post-3653-0-54511000-1518439755_thumb.jpg

post-3653-0-94855800-1518439799_thumb.jpg

Even into the mid '90's, CVN-73 still had gray steel pot helmets..in racks near Damage Control lockers..to be worn at General Quarters and for damage control parties.

Even into the mid '90's, CVN-73 still had gray steel pot helmets..in racks near Damage Control lockers..to be worn at General Quarters and for damage control parties.

The USS Normandy did as well. Not a single one was in WWII configuration though. I went through every single helmet rack I could find when I had nothing to do on night check!!

• 2 months later...