WW II Mameluke (?)

BagmanL6

Good evening Just purchased a grouping this morning. I posted it in Groupings if you're interested in seeing the medals and ring.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/279457-usmc-officers-grouping-ww-ii-korea-vn/

Mameluke, mounted medals, and USMC ring belonging to a James P. Kehoe. (Middle initial could be an R but I'm leaning to P.) There is a Colonel James P. Kehoe buried at Quantico according to Find A Grave who served in all 3 wars. Any additional information on this Marine that anyone would like to provide would be greatly appreciated.

The Mameluke is marked with his name; Germany and a 6 pointed star with seal in the middle (Hard to capture a picture of it.) on one side of the blade; No.202 Trade Conqueror Mark N.S. Meyer on the opposite blade side; and the word Stainless (possibly) on top of the blade. In researching on the forum these markings with the burnt orange handles make this a Pre-WW II sword? Are the burnt orange handles an indication of real ivory?

Thanks for reading and I'm open to any thoughts, information and ideas.

post-150797-0-08197000-1480197291_thumb.jpg

post-150797-0-41626400-1480197301_thumb.jpg

Here is a good article on grip color for USMC Officer swords.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/157899-usmc-mameluke-sword-grip-color-and-material/?hl=%2Busmc+%2Bsword+%2Bgrip

While grip color is not necessarily indicative of the age of the sword it is interesting none the less. Your sword grips are not ivory but appear to be Trolon which is a German plastic which ages to this distinctive pumpkin color. Others can comment on the German / US blade markings.

Nice sword BTW!

Sarge - Thank you very much for the information and link. I'm little embarrassed I missed it when I did my search. (I'll blame it on the excitement of trying to figure it all out.) It is very informative.

I could find some info you might find of interest. Your sword would appear to have belonged to Col James Patrick Kehoe. He was born on 9 Sep 1928 in Manhattan, New York City to Patrick and Della Hunt Kehoe, both Irish immigrants. His father was a baker. He attended Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx where he graduated in 1946. Shortly thereafter it appears he joined the Marines because in October 1946 he was assigned to the 479 Recruit Battalion at Paris Island MCB, SC. (Although WWII was already over, technically he was still a WWII vet – eligibility for the WWII Victory Medal extended to 31 Dec 1946.) Details on his enlisted service in the marines is a bit sparse. In January 1947, he is on the roster of the Marine Air Casual Squadron at Cherry Point, NC as a Private, MOS 521, awaiting assignment. In July 1947, he is a PFC on the roster of the Naval Training Center, Great Lakes, Illinois as an NROTC student. It appears he must have left active duty sometime after that because his next appearance in the records is not until Jul 1950 when he appears as a sergeant on the roster of the 3rd Bn Special Training Regiment, Quantico, VA as a Cat III Reservist from the 5th Marine Corps Reserve District on active duty for six weeks training. Sometime in late 1951 it appears he was activated or volunteered for active duty. He received his physical in October 1951 in Boston and in January 1952 was receiving training at Camp Pendleton, California. In April of 1952 he was assigned as a Staff Sergeant to Company G, 3rd Bn, 5th Marine, 1st MarDiv in Korea. In October 1952, he appears as an enlisted member of the 21st Rotation Draft aboard the USS Marine Serpent “for separation”. I don’t know if he separated or not, but by October of 1953 he is on the roster of the Marine Corps Supply Depot, Camp Pendleton, CA as a second lieutenant. On 20 October 1953, he was honorably discharged from the Reserves to accept permanent appointment to the Marine Corps with a date of rank of 14 March 1953. As a 1st Lt he was assigned to the USS St Paul (CA-73). He also attended the supply Officer Course at Camp LeJeune as a captain in 1957. Records are not available on his later assignments, but it appears he retired as a Colonel on 30 June 1979. He married his wife Mary Teresa Catherine Usher (1927-2007) some time before 1951 and they had a daughter Patricia (1951-1996). He died on 31 May 1995 in Naples, Collier Co, Florida and was interred at the Quantico National Cemetary section 6, Site782 on 8 June 1995.

The sword itself was likely purchased near the date of his commissioning in 1953. Originally the grip would have been ivory white, but the material used at that time oxidizes over the years to an orange color. I doubt the blade is actually marked “stainless”. But if it is, that would indicate a later date for the sword, probably in the 1960s or later.

Hope you find this info useful. Will also try to upload a couple pictures.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to find and post the information. My wife and I are sitting hear almost speechless reading it. What started out with a text from a buddy yesterday morning as I started my day has progressed to feeling a connection to this fellow Marine. I can not thank you enough.

I'll try to post a better picture of the engraving on top of the blade tomorrow in more natural light. You are probably correct in that it doesn't say "stainless". It's very worn and we've been doing a lot of guessing.

Thanks again and enjoy your evening.